Flashlight suggestion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

squall line

I've been looking for a nice compact flashlight for my flight kit. I'm looking one approx equal tor a 2) D-cell LED. I've seen the surefire brand, but they are a bit spendy. Any others out there that you might suggest? I would also like something that can use rechargable batteries.

THANKS

SL

First issue: a "2 D-cell LED." Since LED's are so efficient, there are few, if any, D-cell LED's due to unneccesary size/weight. You can have enormous burn-times with 2,3, or 4 AA-size batts at a much smaller size/weight. Large D-cell Maglights are basically for cops to beat people over the head with at a traffic stop (when the cameras are not rolling.)

Second issue: Shelf-life of rechargeables. Even the newer NiMH, compared to the miserable NiCD, have awful shelf-life. Charge it up, put it in your flight bag, and 2 months later they're dead.

Best to use alkaline or lithium batteries so that, the day you have a total electrical failure, your batteries kick ass.

Try: brightguy.com for an awesome selection of the latest flashlights. Let me know what you find, and feel free to PM me.

I got a small aluminum one from Wal-Mart that uses 3 AAA batts and an LED...came with a blue and red filter, very bright, about 4 inches long, 1 inch diameter, and I think I paid $13.00 or so.

I just got the Gerber LX 3.0 from REI for $49.95. 3 volt (watt?) LED is extremely bright. It even has a warning sticker that you could damage your eyes if you look at it. I think the battery life is 50 hours on 3 AA's. Supposedly lights up objects 150 feet away. It seems more than adequate for preflighting aircraft of any size.

Latest resources

Back