Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flaps 10 during inital emergency descent?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rumorhasit

$11.25 per seat mile
When performing a simulated glide approach Abeam the numbers for engine failure simulation go to best glide then flap 10 or leave them down?

ill tryt o get in here before avbug posts the flight manual from every aircraft ever created.

You do what the emergency checklist of the plane you are flying tells you to do.

Im guessing that you mean to bring them up from 20 to 10?

I am training in a 172, while in the practice area I pull the throttle back to idle to simulate engine failure. The student goes throught the emergency flow and checklist decents to 1000 ft agl and then recover. During the pattern work I pull the engine and perform a simulated glide approach down to the runway. My question is should the student establish best glide and flaps to 10 to increase lift or make the approach clean until airport is made?

Thanks in advance....

I am training in a 172, while in the practice area I pull the throttle back to idle to simulate engine failure. The student goes throught the emergency flow and checklist decents to 1000 ft agl and then recover. During the pattern work I pull the engine and perform a simulated glide approach down to the runway. My question is should the student establish best glide and flaps to 10 to increase lift or make the approach clean until airport is made?

Thanks in advance....

As broke said, you do what your specific airplane's manual directs.

In general, in a light single, I'd keep it clean until I'm absolutely sure I have the field made. Flaps don't "increase lift" -- they allow a given amount of lift to be developed at a lower airspeed, but they add drag in the process. Until you're sure you've made the field, adding more drag is generally a bad idea.

Where in the emergency procedures in the Cessna 172 Pilot Operating Handbook are you intructed to apply Flaps 10, in a power off glide following an engine failure?

Don't invent procedures. Follow those that are provided for you.

Where in the emergency procedures in the Cessna 172 Pilot Operating Handbook are you intructed to apply Flaps 10, in a power off glide following an engine failure?

Don't invent procedures. Follow those that are provided for you.
Problem is that there is nothing in either the emergency or the normal procedures for a 172 that tell you =when= to start applying flaps for landing, nor, if it really comes down to it, whether to apply flaps at all.

CA1900 has given the most common advice about =technique= and the reason for it: If you are going to use flaps for that landing, don't start until you are in a position where the increased drag is not going to end up having you come up short. My own general guideline is when the visual picture little higher than normal for an approach and landing at idle power. The little higher is to (a) add a fudge factor for errors and (b) to recognize that in the simulation, you still have some power.

Developing that sight picture is a lot of what this is all about.

yes like I said do what the AFM says....if it dont say anything about flaps, then get rid of them.

ALso, call the designated examiner that you normal use and seak to him/her about this as well. They explain to you exactly where to find these procedures and tell how they want to see it done.

When I was an examiner, I had a very good relationship with local cfi's and we discussed stuff like this all the time.

Last edited:
I tend to stress the forward slip in engine out scenario's. You can get most airplanes down pretty fast without an engine, it is real hard to get them back up without one though.

C-172

Since you did not mention what airplane it is, I will assume it is a typical SEL. I teach in a C-172 go to flaps 10 abeam intended point of touchdown. In the C-172 I don’t think there is any SOP for power off forced landings, other than flaps as necessary. From my observation over shoot is more often a problem than undershoot. Stay in close. If think you are high, more flaps, if you put in too much, retract flaps. I purposely talk them into too much flaps early, and then demonstrate the technique to get rid of drag. After practicing this procedure a few times most students can put into a 2000' opening power off from the 180. I don't care what he book says, I want them to walk away from any forced landing. I have never had student fail for forced landings.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back