Flap 22 Landings in ERJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mwmav8r01

Are any companies certifed in NORMAL operations to do a flap 22 landing. We are not at CHQ i was curious to what other airline policies are. Also do all airlines have the Flap 45 Vfe 145 knots?

Thanks

Matt

When I worked for COEX, we were certified to do 22 landings on the 135/145. I did them often in gusty conditions to avoid really overspeeding the flaps during gusts. I thought the aircraft was very stable at the faster speeds but you have to consider the runway length and stopping conditions (ie contamination). We had a 145 depart the runway in CLE after a long landing on the short runway using 22 flaps and I'm sure the pilot group thinks long and hard now when considering a 22 flap landing.

Yup we are allowed and encouraged with the conditions described above........do we think long and hard about?.....absolutely not....

Landing long and fast is a function of poor planning .not the fact that you have flaps 22.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are Required to do a flaps 22 landing on CAT II approaches. Don't know if that would really qualify as a Nomral operation.

And to answer your question about Vfe being 145 for flaps 45, that applies for us at Expressjet as well, however momentary deviations up to 155 knots are allowed once the flaps are fully extended, and Vfe for the EMB-145XR is 160 knots.

IAHERJ said:
When I worked for COEX, we were certified to do 22 landings on the 135/145. I did them often in gusty conditions to avoid really overspeeding the flaps during gusts.

Since they've certified the aircraft for momentary speed deviations above the flaps 45 speed it isn't necessary to land flaps 22 in gusty winds. I agree, before that change it was almost impossible to land 45 without overspeeding the flaps. I haven't landed flaps 22 since the limitation change other than for CAT II approaches.

mwmav8r01, I don't know what you mean by Normal. At XJT there isn't anything keeping us from landing Flaps 22. If you were so inclined you could land Flaps 22 all day. Now I don't know anyone would bother since the airplane lands a lot better with Flaps 45 and no one would want to calculate out the landing distances each time.

.....except above 10,000 ft with the yaw damper disengaged, in which case you're back at 145 knots. Guess that might be a factor on approach to Toluca or something....

I forgot they changed the limatation on the 45 flap speed. I actually liked doing 22 flap landings. I tended to land pretty flat anyway as I still try to do on the 717. I've dumped almost all of the information on the E-jet. I took an oral recently on the 717 for recurrent and he asked me when the flight recorder was activated. I, without any hesitation explained it to him. He thought I was joking. I told him how it worked on the 145 as that was always how I remembered to turn on the beacon during pushback if I forgot to run the checklist. Anyway it made for a good laugh even if they were laughing at me not with me.
IAHERJ

Latest resources

Back