Five "Inefficiencies of Fractional Ownership" According to XOJet CEO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

I just read an excellent article about XOJet in the January Business & Commercial Aviation magazine - I encourage everyone to read it if you can find it. A lot of people are still in the dark with regard to what XOJet has to offer - I couldn't figure it out either until I read this article.

In this article, there is a relatively clear description of the XOJet model as well as the founder/CEO's views toward "inefficient" fractional ownership. I think he makes some good points when you actually think about it.

First, to quote the arcticle (snipets from the article):

"XOJet's business plan is managed whole aircraft ownership with a companion option for leasing blocks of unused capacity, then selling charter to cover deadheading and periods when capacity is available to the on-demand market. XOJet sells whole airplanes and leases blocks of capacity, and both owners and lessees are guaranteed an airplane when they need it. XOJet sells charter on demand when the aircraft are available - during the slow periods. Lessees buy blocks of hours (i.e., 100 hours). In the ownership model, you buy the whole airplane, you pay no management fees or fixed cost, and so you save a million up front every year since there is no pilot pay, insurance or hanger rent and you receive 400 hours at the DOC rate only: fuel, engine MSP and trip expenses. Owners who require additional hours can pay an all-in rate that includes fixed cost plus DOC."

That's a pretty interesting model when you think about it ("opportunistic" charter when the aircraft is idle) and it would be very attractive to aircraft owners - it is FAR LESS RESTRICTIVE than fractional ownership terms where the provider will tell you there will be so many days a year with peak-period restrictions, positioning fees, etc. From a cost standpoint, it would be cheaper in many cases to just fly the XOJet crews to the idle aircraft than to reposition that aircraft from one side of the country to another. Only fly the aircraft when the owner needs it or when a charter pops up. I take it XOJet gets a good cut of the charter revenue to pay for its own expenses.

Meanwhile, the owner (not the lessee) gets all of the depreciation benefits of owning the aircraft. So, if you take a $20 million aircraft and depreciate it over a five year period, the owner would get to reduce his/her taxable income by $4 million per year through the depreciation benefits. Fractional share owners get the same depreciation benefits from their "owned" shares on a proportional basis. XOJet owners therefore get some charter revenue when their aircraft is idle and they get the residual value when the aircraft is sold after 5 years.

With regard to the five "built-in inefficiencies of fractional ownership," XOJet's CEO lists them as:

1. Charter outsourcing during very busy periods or under-capacity

2. Aircraft on ground during slow periods

3. the deadhead conundrum (up to 30% of fractional flying can be deadheads - no revenue generated)

4. too many aircraft types in the fleet (requiring extra training, maintenance - reduces scale economies)

5. having to charge the same price every day, as this is contractually locked in with the shareholders.

XOJet does not have fixed charter fees - they are priced according to supply/demand. XOJet is attempting to fix these five inefficiencies in the fractional model. By doing so, the XOJet founder claims that XOJet is 20% less per flight hour to the customer than a fractional carrier.

Other general XOJet information:
  • XOJet currently operates roughly 20 Citation Xs with 30 Xs on firm order and 20 Challenger 300s on firm order with 60 Challenger 300 options. The first five Challenger 300s are due in Q4 of 2008.
  • Company has raised $550 million from wealthy investors and very prominent private equity firms (e.g., Texas Pacific Group) - it is very well funded
  • Schedules are 8/6 or optional 18/12 (I believe the 18/12 offers home-basing if you live near a suitable airline-serving airport).
  • As for pilot domiciles, the article mentions that XOJet offers 12 airports designated at the moment and that will grow to between 50 and 75 airports, determined by the level of business.
  • The article mentions starting pay for XOJet PICs is $90K topping out at $145K. FOs start at $52K and peak in the mid $80s.
It sounds like there will be significant demand for additional pilots going forward with these growth plans (up to 80 Challenger 300s...). I bet XOJet will get a number of applications from Flight Options pilots.

So, go read the BC&A January magazine - the article is called "New Business Plans for Charter" by David Esler. I have not found a link for the article. It is quite an interesting read about XOJet and a few of the other new and innovative providers.

Last edited:
Interesting article. I wonder if this "new" idea will really work for the long term. Time will tell. A question about the schedual for those in the know-if you live in one of their bases like SEA or DEN, a pilot gets the option of 8/6? That is not too bad; not as good as NetJets, but a close second. Now who gets stuck with the 18/12? Those that don't live near one of the listed bases? Being gone for 18 days is a long time.

I think it is a nice thought process and a lot of hoping, but the reality of it is something else. Next time he is quoted he might want to really study the other business models out there before going on record. I have seen many, many aviation businesses come and go, everyone trying to rewrite the business model. Wright Brothers flew over a hudred years ago on piston power and jets first appeared over sixty years ago in WWII. Not a whole lot has changed. Good luck.

P.S. this is not a dig at XO pilots

J-Rod,

Thanks for posting that. I have a scanned version of the article, was waiting for the online version to become available to post it here. You covered most of the high points. Just one correction though...the double schedule is 15 on, 13 off. Otherwise, that was a great summary.

Some interesting year-end numbers on how much flying we did...we started the year with 7 Citation 10s, we ended the year with 17. Flew a total of 11765 hours, averaging 99.7 hours/plane/month. Approximately 97% of those hours were paid for by someone other than XOJet.

if you live in one of their bases like SEA or DEN, a pilot gets the option of 8/6?

Yes. As long as you live in one of our Tier 1 bases, you can choose either the 8/6 or 15/13 schedule. If you live in a Tier 2 base, which are determined on a case by case basis, your only option is the 15/13. You pick the base, it is not assigned by the company. Some current examples of our Tier 2 bases are Kalispel, MT; Tulsa, OK; and Fort Myers, FL. They all have reasonable airline service by multiple providers...that's the main requirement. I know that 15 days straight is a lot, but the guys on that schedule can take long vacations every month and still have multiple days on either end of the trip to get the 'honey-do' list taken care of, without using any vacation time. They all seem to love it.

Tier 1 bases are:

-Sacramento
-San Francisco Bay Area
-Los Angeles
-San Diego
-Phoenix
-Denver
-Chicago
-Atlanta
-Miami
-Dallas
-New York
-Washington DC
-Seattle

This is the list that is expected to grow as the pilot list grows and business requires it.

Thanks t-bone for the info. If it's ok with you I have some more questions I would like to pm you.

Just curious, if your on the 15/13 schedule, what's the chance of ending up with back-to-back 15 day schedules (i.e. 30 days out)?

those are inefficiencies of the fractional company(according to him) not inefficienes to the owner that creats thier cost to be higher. he is talking about how xo jet makes money, not how fractional is inefficient for the owners.

2% of americans bring in 85% of the money, that 2% equals 11 million people. If you add all the fractionals together, there are less than 6000 owners, we all have a way to grow.

Just curious, if your on the 15/13 schedule, what's the chance of ending up with back-to-back 15 day schedules (i.e. 30 days out)?

Is that something you'd want? Our schedules are set for all of 2008, no one gets back to back rotations. Once you get your schedule, you can plan your days off months in advance. If you wanted to be gone 30 days straight, you may be able to work out a trade, but I'm not sure the company wants anyone on the road that long...fatigue will become a factor!

those are inefficiencies of the fractional company(according to him) not inefficienes to the owner that creats thier cost to be higher. he is talking about how xo jet makes money, not how fractional is inefficient for the owners.

Well, actually...have you read the article yet or just what was posted by JohnsonRod?

The inefficiencies of the traditional fractional model result in higher costs to the program member. What is the monthly management fee one would pay at your company, even if they didn't fly a single hour, during that month? If one of our program members didn't fly at all, they wouldn't pay XOJet a dime. So the ways in which we are more efficient result in more utilization of the asset, which leads to lower costs for the owner.

Latest resources

Back