First time to Hot-lanta!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Slow for the ATR on short final

I sure did love flying a mighty Seneca I in there. Landing 8R of course so we could hang a right into Mercury, we held 140 until Apch told us to slow for the AT7 in front of us that was 30+ kts slower...That was the highlight of that particular evening:D

And yes, you haven't really taxied at ATL until you've been on Dixie.

Ain't it cool! Can't believe the PC crowd hasn't gotten hold of that one yet.

That's cause there ain't to many PC folks down here in Dixie!
:D

ATL Ground, XYZ123 Dixie Southbound!

I survived!

Interesting notes to self after visiting ATL for the first time:

-- Next time, put out full speed brakes and drop the gear at 18K and maybe, just maybe, I'll make that straight in approach to 27R...

-- When they say "turn to heading 250 at the marker" on takeoff, just nod and keep smiling...first time I've ever heard of that trick by ATC.

Thanks everybody for giving me the lowdown. And I even found Dixie!

Re: Re: Ahh..

Bill Mostellar said:
You're wrong. They're all Delta's taxiways. ;>

LOL.....

Funny..Are you related to FDJ?

PS. not anymore, didn't your mommy teach you to share? Now, give that taxiway back to AirTran!

ATL OPS

Looks like you visited ATL without any worries... but there are some more potential 'gotchas'

Tower phraseology : what tower refers to as the 'west end' is the Hotel taxiway that runs north to south along the approach end of 8L and 8R. Tower North will refer to traffic 'over the Ford Plant' refering to traffic about 1/2 mile final over the Ford Assembly Plant.

Taxi Routes : 'Transition loop' refers to Echo Foxtrot as it merges into ramp 1 ... North outbound taxi departing 26L can expect to taxi via foxtrot and transition to Echo at the end of Foxtrot. 8R departure taxi will be straight out to Echo , inbound airplanes will be on Foxtrot for the ramp. When calling for taxi state ramp number and atis info. Delta taxiway is refered to as DIXIE. South complex taxi out will be via the inner Lima and taxi in via the outer Mike. 'Jetbase' is refering to the Delta TOC on the east end of the airport, and 'Delta North' refers to Delta MX near the north cargo hangars.

Arrival Routes : Expect a LONG final and always a HIGH downwind leg. Macey and Rome arrivals can expect 26R/8L and Sinca and LaGrange Arrivals expect 27L/9R

Takeoff : All takeoffs will be instructed to turn at the marker. There is a sign next to each departure runway that advertises these headings 'unless otherwise assigned by atc'. 8R turns to 075 heading at the marker. 26L turns to 285 heading. 27R turns left to 250 and 9L turns right to 100. Runway 8R/26L has quite a dip about midpoint in the runway.

LXA.
Not ALWAYS a long final. Have pulled the plug abeam the airport and turned in at OM plenty of time. As far as the HIGH dwnd, departures climb to 100 off the runway, so 110 is the norm. No problem unless you are clean and 250 still. 99% of the time they will tell you to configure for a short approach if that is going to be the plan.

ATL has 2 speeds: fast and slow.
When traffic is moving fast expect short approaches and direct to the OM (high and fast).
When things get slow, expect planty of holding practice and 30 mile final at 170 knots.
These guys are really good at moving traffic.

Latest resources

Back