First time to Hot-lanta!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagleflip

OK, ok, I'm gonna 'fess up and ask for your input.

I'm going into ATL for the first time (in the quasi-pointy end of the aircraft, anyway) on Friday am and out that evening. I'm just interested in your hints for an easier time operating there.

Do the controllers like you to maintain X speed to the marker? Any preferred taxi routes? General gotchas?

FDJ, I know you've got something to add here...

Thanks in advance!

Eagle,

I'm not sure if they went over this in ground school, but it is an FAA requirement that going in to ATL, you must announce at least 5 times that Delta is the best airline in the world, that everyone on board should be jealous (and a little worried) that they are not being flown by Delta pilots, who are the greatest pilots in the world, and that you can purchase tickets for your next flight at Delta.com and receive triple miles for any ATL to LAX flight!:D

Actually, I don't have a great deal to add about ATL. To be honest, I didn't get in there much with TWA, and with DAL, I spent most of my time on express (which never went to ATL), and later on the 737-800 out of New York, doing mostly shuttle and some CVG, SLC, and only a little ATL. I am sure that others will have much more to add than I. All in all, however, it's pretty straightforward. It will also be a lot easier for you in that you only have to listen for "jetblue" and you know the controller's talking to you. You'll see soon that we don't have it quite so easy. I think I've screwed up a call almost every time I've been in there. I guess my wife is right when she tells me I don't listen!

Eagleflip,

For one of the busiest airports in the world Atlanta's Hartsfield really is one of the easiest. The controllers really know how to move some tin. If you arrive during one of the peak times be ready for some fast paced action though.

Starting with the arrivals:

Get the ATIS early and know which runways are in use. The crossing altitudes and speeds are "expect to" so be ready to keep the speed up if they don't tell you slow down. ATL lands on the outside runways and takes off on the inside runways. So if you're coming in with a Macey or Rome arrival you will most likely land on 8L or 26R. If you are coming in LaGrange or Sinca you will probably get 9R or 27L.

If they don't tell you a speed go as fast as practical for your aircraft - it usually means you are in the front of a pack and you really want to stay there. When given a speed comply as quickly as you can. When given an altitude or heading do it promptly as is safe and consistant with your aircraft's POH. Listen to the radio carefully, this is not the time to miss a call.

On the approach: Keep the speed they issue until the marker. If you are unable for some operational requirement let them know early, they will have you sequenced very tightly in visual conditions. You'll see them lining up on your TCAS, just follow the instructions and it's a piece of cake. It is not uncommon to be on a very short final and the preceding aircraft is not clear of the runway. Be ready to go around if the guy ahead misses the turnoff or does not clear. Another option if there is not someone waiting is to ask for clearence to sidestep to the inner runway and land, that can save you a go around.

Ground operations:

Take a good look at the airport diagram and have it available for your taxi. All taxiways are clearly marked and there really are not any traps that I am aware of. Also the tower and ground have a good view of all of the movement areas so if you are not sure just don't do any dumb like crossing a runway without a clearence.

Have fun.

I have been to ATL so many times I don't want to count them. I was just there last weekend. Standard ops, if you get cleared for a visual expect to have the aircraft just 2 miles in front of you. When you touchdown the aircraft in front will be clearing the high speed. Be assured as you touch down there will be one right on your rear so clear ASAP on the high speed. When you call for you clearance you would want to say "xyx777 ramp 4 infomation B JFK." They will answer with the "ATL 6 Norone vector cleared as filed squawk 2435.' Just repeat back the squawk unless you have any questions. When you call for pushback you will call ramp control as follows"xyz777 at D14 readly for push with a norone vector." They will say"cleared to push tail south. You will stay with ramp until close to the end of the ramp, they you will call ground saying XYZ777 4North. They will give you ground instructions from there. Take off 26L Land 26R, Land 8R takeoff on 8L. If you are going to JFK you will always be routed to the North side of the airport. In all it is pretty easy. I think a lot more simpler than ORD.

What FDJ said:

"...you must announce at least 5 times that Delta is the best airline in the world, that everyone on board should be jealous (and a little worried) that they are not being flown by Delta pilots, who are the greatest pilots in the world,..."

What Eagleflip heard:

"...you must blah blah blah blah blah best airline in the world, blah blah blah blah blah cabin monkeys, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, Air Force produces greatest pilots in the world, blah, blah, blah...."

;)

Thanks for the gouge, all!

Ahh..

Expect to go fast, then slow, then speed up again, then hold 200 til OM. :D Ohhh, there is no "D"elta taxiway, it's DIXIE :)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you get a little behind on arrival, it doesn't matter because you always have a 40 mile final to get caught up. ;-)

The last time I went there, I swear they took us all the way to Athens before they turned is back inbound.

regards,

Even with calm winds, be sure and ask for a "windcheck" on short final in order to fit in with the Delta boys :)

"Ohhh, there is no "D"elta taxiway, it's DIXIE"

Ain't it cool! Can't believe the PC crowd hasn't gotten hold of that one yet.

As soon as you get with APP, make sure you ask "how long is the final", they always love hearing that from the delta folks.

Latest resources

Back