• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

First PSA CRJ -- news story

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I haven't done my IOE yet so how the actual airplane flies I can only guess at. One thing it is NOT is an automated airplane. Nice cockppit layout, the overhead is REeeeaall close to ypur head, which makes it a little tough on us guys who wear bifocals. I hear it's a little sensitive on landings (squirrely). Sim was great, no real suprises, rolls nice. Most of my time has been on the 737-2/3/400, so it's quite a bit different from that.

Watch the x-wind landings, you must "fly" it down to 70 knots. Also be prepared to reset some circuit breakers. :)

Just an FYI on the jets for jobs program. I have heard they are down to asking June 1999 hires. See guys nobody wanted it....well very few did.

B6Busdriver said:
Just an FYI on the jets for jobs program. I have heard they are down to asking June 1999 hires. See guys nobody wanted it....well very few did.

That's because the FO positions are going that low. Now that they have gone that far, the guys know that it will be a while before they can upgrade. The Captain slots for CHQ and TSA are at about the same point, so why go to PSA to be an FO when you can wait a few weeks and be a CHQ or TSA captain?

FurloughedAgain Knows Whereof He Speaks

My hat's off to you my brother, I believe that I feel your pain.

I laughed, inside of course, when I listened to my PSA captains, many of them, explain to me how US Air pilots wouldn't be interested in flying for a "commuter."

They explained to me that US Air would be forced to hire off the street because no one who had flown for US Air would stand for the crap that PSA management and Scheduling, dishes out on a daily basis.

These captains, many of them not knowing that they were hired long after I left PSA, condescendingly explained to me how the aviation world works, and gave me advice on how I should look for other endeavors.

Many of these individuals have never had to work in the real world and have no idea how lucky they are to be in the position they're in.

They do have a point when they say that things could be better, I have no argument with that. I've seen many good people and families suffer because of management greed and incompetence.

But when a guy has been on the street for awhile and a flying position comes up he takes it, and anyone who demeans him for it without taking time to understand his position loses all my respect. My advice to those people is to walk a mile in his moccasins before making a judgement against him.

I've watched low-time guys on this forum expound as if they were experts in the field. I've also listened to them in crewrooms, on the jumpseat, and in the left seat. Without exception I've held my piece and I've always responded to their opinions with respect and acceptance.

Many of the best people I've ever flown with are much younger and a little less experienced than me, but I look at the individual and I can honestly say I that I'm grateful to have a chance to fly at PSA right now.

That being said, you can bet your life that PSA, and everyone else, will find plenty of people interested in the Jet for Jobs Program. It's a jungle out there.

What the hell do I know. I'm just sick to death of watching pilots dig trenches and and try to piss each other off. We're not each other's collective enemy, believe it or not. Time for a beer.

hank

When you see that PSA is taking J4J guys with '99 hire dates, keep in mind that U did not hire any pilot between '90 and I believe late '98. There are over 1800 furloughed U pilots, most of them hired in '90 and '00. The thing that sucks for these guys is many of them left good jobs for this "airline career" only to have it taken away poor management and other factors, some beyond our control. The guys on furlough from '88 thru '90 spent their careers at U in the right seat, many of them on reserve for most of their time at U, so even though they have 12000 plus hours, most of it is SIC, not PIC. Even with all of that, we stayed because of the pension plan. Now that that is gone, there are a bunch of 40 year old plus guys looking at starting over. Ain't life wonderful?

Latest resources

Back