First post

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the record:

I've got an airplane engineering degree.

I didn't last long at my last job as an engineer. The only thing I've recently used my degree for is to figure out how big of a bolt I should use so that the engine hoist in my new shop would fail before I pulled the whole building down.

But I've used my CFI and A&P certificates quite a bit recently (oh yeah, that's my job--d'oh!)

I work with another Aeruonautical Engineer--he didn't last long in front of a computer screen either. My best friend is an Aeronautical Engineer--works as a CFI (although he'll probably move on soon).

There's no law that says you have to do what you have a degree in. Good thing, I've only held a job as an engineer once, but I've worked as a CFI (twice), an A&P, in youth ministry (a couple of times), as a ferry pilot, and it looks like I'm going to be playing substitute teacher for kids who have little tracking ships on their ankles pretty soon. Good thing I can design airplane structures!

Dan

Archer,

I'm not much further along on the piloting side than you are (I'm working toward my Commercial) but I can relate to your career predicament. In my Junior year in Aerospace Engineering (8 years ago) I came very close to switching majors. Things were a little different for me though because I wasn't enjoying my line of study and knew I had no desire to be an AE after those first 3 years. (I was on the 5 year plan.) I ended up sticking it out and getting the degree. I then went on to get an MBA and now am not using either of the degrees. (I may even jump ship to the full-time pilot gig in a couple of years??)

But I don't for a second regret finishing the AE. While I've never used it and have forgotten the majority of what I learned, it did wonders for me. It really taught me how to learn tons of stuff, quickly. I was amazed how few of my friends in other majors ever pulled all-nighters studying for an exam, or even working on homework for a single class. MBA was an absolute cakewalk after AE, as has everything else I've had to learn through various "careers" since then.

The one thing I would have done differently is spent my free money on flying instead of beer. I took my first flying lesson the summer before my Junior year, but at the time I didn't think I could afford to go very far in flying so it took me 4 years to finally get my PVT. If I had it to over again, I'd have accelerated my flying and worked up to CFI, then done that part-time. By the time you get to the CFI you should have a much better feeling of whether full-time flying is for you or not. (At least this is my theory.)

It sounds like you do enjoy AE, so by all means finish it. Fly as much as you can afford to (time and money wise). If you decide to someday fly full-time, you'll be that much further ahead. If you decide it isn't for you, you'll have figured it out early in life and not have to play the "what-if" game down the road. At the very least, you're gaining a fantastic hobby, all be it an expensive one. Also, don't f-around in your studies. I graduated with a pi$$ poor GPA and couldn't have gotten an AE job if I had wanted to. I've been lucky that it didn't come back to haunt me, but it easily could have.

Lastly, maybe we could pull some kind of sitcomish switcharoo. I'll be you, you be me. You can use my citizenship and get a job here in the states with Boeing if you can get me job doing anything (grape picker, wine taster, Autogrill bathroom cleaner) in either Como, Tuscany or Amalfi. Whaddya say?

Good luck with whatever you choose.
hokieflyer

Corrected Vision

Archer wrote:
Until 9th grade, my goal was to become a fighter pilot. But at that time, my inherited (through my father) need for correction glasses shattered that goal as airforces don't accept vision less than 20/20.

Are you saying your vision is not correctable to 20/20? I ask because the military is not as strict with vision requirements as they used to be. I'd look into it.

hokieflyer, LOL

Great offer! ;) Though, in some sense I lied. My main interest in Aero is the design of sub-orbital spaceplanes, and the companies that are working on this (for the X-prize too) are private ones that don't usually require citizenship...so I'm good in that sense...I'm specializing in propulsion specifically devoted to the sub-orbital regime...so that I might have a chance of getting a job at one of those companies if I ever decided to stick to being a rocket scientist ;)

I get more surprised at the number of people who were or are Aeronautical Engineers at some point in their lives! That's 3 or 4 already in this thread!

Well, I' thinking finish up my AE degree, and get some ratings done meanwhile, and see what happens upon graduation. That seems like the best thing to do.

One thing. Right now I'm financing my PPL and all is fine. Yet once I do get it, paying 70 bucks/hour to fly as a PP to build up hours is going to be a little costly.

See, I got my group of best friends who are just waiting for me to get my PPL so we can all fly places in Indiana and the surrounding states. I am hoping to get my PPL before December of this year. If not, I'll have to wait till next Spring...as the weather here in Indiana does get really bad for flying...will all the snow storms et all.

But once I do get my PPL, my friends are willing to share the cost of flying so that it costs us roughly 17 to 25 bucks an hour per person depending on the aircraft I rent. Which is not horrible for me as I've been paying 100+ bucks/hour for dual and 70 bucks/hour solo. Yet I don't know if they'll be willing to fly as often as I would like to build my hours....

I must say, I could fly the 152 for 60 bucks or whatever with a friend, so that's 30 each....and that's 2 fewer people to ask to fly...but still...

so all of a sudden my brain is thinking "CFI"

See, I never really wanted or looked into getting a CFI. Actually, I'm not even sure about getting a Commercial. I'm definitely getting my Instrument, HP and complex and maybe later on my multi, those are pretty much definites since I love Instrument flying and multi engine aircraft (YOU GO SENECA! ;))

But CFI...never occured to me...what does it take to be a good CFI? I mean...you got to be the "Master" and know it all...so you don't teach a student the wrong things...or be stumped...

what kind of a person does it take to be a CFI? I mean, I know you need your Commercial/Instrument ratings...but I'm talking about a personal level...

oh, and CCdisco, after all those years, I've changed my mind on going military...I still love the thought of a Blue Angel requesting a high performance climb to 10,000 ft (I heard this from a fellow pilot on another MB)...but I think civilian aviation is for me...

NE ways....

fly safe!

Archer

BTW-I'm a Purdue grad.

As to the CFI being the "master..." They SHOULD be, but I'm 99 percent sure I know where you are flying, and trust me, they've got more than one CFI who are bottom of the lowest barrel in my book... Of course, they've got a couple real good ones too.

To be a CFI, you've just got to be able to pass a checkride, but to be a good teacher, requires much more (specifically, the ability and willingness to teach). Do us all a favor, don't become a CFI if you don't want to be one, a CFI who dislikes what they do is a burden on the students pocketbook, and a drag for everyone they work with. But being a CFI is awesome (except for the pay)--I get to talk to people all day, buzz around the most beautiful country imagineable, in nice airplanes, and I get to work with some altogether fun people! To boot, I even get paid a mere pittance for it!

The only reason I got my CFI was because I once had a real bad one, and I decided I'd try to help keep people like him from having jobs as flight instructors...

Dan

Yes, I go to Purdue and fly out of Purdue University airport. :D

Did you get your PPL with Purdue or LA Delta3?

Dan...that's cool that you are a Boilermaker! :D

Archer

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back