Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Update:

Hey guys.

We'll its going on 3 months as a CFI, and I have about 5 students. Things are going ok, but the weather (lake effect snow) is starting to hit us. We have 3 full time CFI's (including me) and one of them is leaving for a Flight Safety internship in January. So his students will be split between the Chief Flight Instructor and myself. The Chief isn't too happy where we work, and is actively looking for another job. He wants more multi time. He has about 1100 total hours, and only 100 multi. I don't blame him. I would like to be in an outfit that had a multi plane, so it would be worthwhile to get my MEI, and build some multi time.

The girl who trained me for my CFI, graduated from WMU a year before me, and already has 1200 total and 400 multi due to where she worked as a CFI (they had a king air for charter). She is now going to Mesa for training. Makes me wonder if I should resubmit an application at that FBO, and try again to get in there. Might be more beneficial for me in the long run. Still be able to give good training, but have a king air available to build those hours too. Only problem is, that FBO is 2 hrs from me, and my lease isnt up at my apartment til September 04.

that FBO is 2 hrs from me, and my lease isnt up at my apartment til September 04.

I have a 1 + 40 minute commute to the airport from home so you would not be alone. Many pilots have much longer commutes than you or I and for the "time" and "experience" I surely would consider it if I were you.

3 5 0

Should I stay or should I go?

gizbug said:
The girl who trained me for my CFI, graduated from WMU a year before me, and already has 1200 total and 400 multi due to where she worked as a CFI (they had a king air for charter). She is now going to Mesa for training. Makes me wonder if I should resubmit an application at that FBO, and try again to get in there. Might be more beneficial for me in the long run. Still be able to give good training, but have a king air available to build those hours too. Only problem is, that FBO is 2 hrs from me, and my lease isnt up at my apartment til September 04.
Congratulations on your progress! :cool:

I recall before that you were concerned about having health insurance. Better be sure that the new job would offer it before your change jobs; if not, you could keep it from your old job under COBRA, but you would have to pay for it and take the accompanying hit in your pocketbook. Also, your lease is a hefty one to break. Finally, don't rely on promises of getting multi in the KingAir. A basic aviation axiom is that one shall not rely on an employer's promises.

Gizbug,

Congrats on the CFI job, and keep up the enthusiasm!

In the endless quest for more students, go back and look at some of the old threads on CFI marketing and drumming up students.

If you're not already, attend WINGS seminar and AOPA Town Hall meetings and pass out cards to the pilots. hang out on the tarmac and talk to pilots -- you never know who needs a biennial or is looking to add an IFR rating. Check the local flying clubs. Those that don't have an in-house CFI or CFII keep a list of club-recommended instructors.

AOPA has some sort of a "Introduction to Flying" kit for people interested in learning to fly. AOPA will send you a bunch of them for free -- pass them out to people you meet who are interested in flying lessons.

Good luck!

AOPA

gizbug

I have been a professional flight instructor for going on 8 years and still love it. Although I get to fly charter in a c 414 and fly a mu 300 around instructing is still my passion and where my heart is. I dont teach too many primary students any more but do stage checks and checkrides with them. One key to being a good instructor is remember the stuff that was hard for you. Not everyone (not most people) are naturals at this. Patience is truly a virtue in this business. Its good to hear a young CFI say he likes instructing. Its certainly not a career for everyone but it has been for me. Hang in there and be careful

Latest resources

Back