Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoDEAN

Cabo Wabo Express
Well, about a month has passed since I started instructing.
The one thing that has really stood out has been my confidence level. I use to get nervous before flights when I was flying by myself, maybe once a week or every other week. But since I am trying to fly everyday now, my confidence level (with 400 hrs) has gone up a lot. I no longer get nervous when flying, even with stiff crosswinds.

I am having a lot of fun. I currently have 4 full time students, and I am flying 5-6 times a week. I would like more, but hopefully that comes. It's hard to pay bills with the amount of flying I am doing, so a 2nd job may be in line for the holiday season.

3 out of 4 of my students are brand new, and 1 has already soloed prior to me picking him up. I am learning what the word patience means, and finding faults of my own, and learning things every day. You sure don't realize what you "don't know" until you start teaching.

I went up with a guy today to do some hood work prior to his checkride tomorrow. He has been flying with another instructor. So we flew 30 miles to KAZO where I've been many times, but not in the last 2 years. It was a lot of fun. Good way to brush up on your "towered field" procedures.

All in all, having a blast, now, only if more students come to me lol. In time though. Just thought I would pass the word on since I am part of the family on here, and have been given a lot of great advice, and a lot of drive to keep looking for a CFI job even when times looked dim, and I almost lost hope of finding one. Although it took 5 months, I am happy that I finially found a CFI job. It is teaching me a lot, and every morning when I walk out to our 172 or our 152, I am have huge grin on my face, ready to face the days challanges!

gizbug said:
But since I am trying to fly everyday now, my confidence level (with 400 hrs) has gone up a lot. I no longer get nervous when flying, even with stiff crosswinds.
Just be careful, don't get "overconfident"...

gizbug said:
You sure don't realize what you "don't know" until you start teaching.
I have been saying this for years, CFIing is EXCELLENT experience!

gizbug said:
All in all, having a blast
That is the key to being a good instructor, you have to enjoy what you are doing!

Congrats and good luck!

Glad you got the job and I'm glad you're having fun.......

One thing I wanted to pass along that I was told when I started instructing......"Remember just one thing when you're instructing and you'll be fine......every student is trying to kill you.....remember that at every moment and you'll be just fine....Truer words have not been spoken.....

Best wishes to you.....Be careful out there!

I enjoy being a CFI too. At first, I didn't really enjoy it that much, but now that I have settled into the job I feel great about it.

I have studied more as a CFI than I did as a student. I feel a little pressure to have as much knowledge as I can get, but it sure is hard to make up for all the little things that people have with more flight time. It has made me a better pilot no doubt, and I'm sure that a few years down the road I'll look back on my time as a CFI with very fond memories. I'm having such a good time flying the "little stuff" that I'm not particularly looking forwards to beaing able to bitch and moan about unions, contracts, schedules, and pay at a regional or crap 134.5 operation. :)

I am looking forward to the challenges of flying bigger, faster equipment though. Just as I like the challenge of a tail-dragger. :cool:

Cool gizbug, let us know how it goes !!!! Sounds great so far.

I wish I'd taken more people up after getting my private, because flying is best when shared.

Currently I'm trying to get some more single flying done because I am not getting enough multi practice to maintain myself at a standard where I can comfortably nail the comm multi ride.

I am so looking forward to when I can get my CFI started...

HEY GIZBUG

I couldn't agree with ABENAKI any more. You're students are, number one, trying to kill you. And, number two, trying to get your certificate revoked.

Students will; leave the dipstick off, leave fuel caps off, dump the flaps on a go around, violently pich the nose down on approach(reverse airpseed control), pull to idle when you call full power, tail slide an airplane and spin it while trying stalls(in less than one second), misread fuel levels, violate solo endorsements, viloate FAR's(they don't know them, no matter how many times they tell you they do, and the ones you test them on they forget in the a/c). just to name a few.

DO NOT LET A STUDENT KILL YOU. REMEMBER. THEY ARE TRYING.

DAS gave you some specifics that are important to realize.....Obviously, I am in 100% agreement with him/her.

You will also see your confidence level increase as you gain experience instructing expanding your own personal limits of how far along you will let a student get before you take over......

I remember one student who would NOT, no matter how many times I told him, put right rudder in in a power on stall. That ball would be out so far you wouldn't reach it. So, after the umpteenth time of telling him to use that right rudder and why, I finally just let him do the manuever without prompting him. And you can guess what happened next....**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed thing rolled right over on it's back and then pointed itself to the brown stuff......The student screamed and I took over waiting just a few seconds later so I knew he was good and bloody scared.....

Me..."Now, what did I tell you about that right rudder?????"

He did perfect stalls from then on and did a great job......

I am reminded
I learned to fly not that many years ago, and always remember my instructors. One was the worse, one was the best. The worse was marking time, and the best was interested in teaching me.

However, speaking of trying to kill you, I remember my checkride. I had NEVER done a departure stall, but had a friend (who was learning at the same time, and same airport) who spun a plane doing a departure stall. So when the examiner told me to do a departure stall, I stalled, and SHOVED the nose down (the pencil on my lap was floating in the air :D , talk about negative G's), and full power. Nothing but trees in the windshield. :D

Fortunately, it was dark, and I didn't get a fail, rather an incomplete, practiced departure stalls the next day, and then nailed the rest of the checkride.

Flying frequently does wonders for your confidence, and ability.

When I was flying regularly, I once did a crosswind landing with 25kts 90 degrees to the runway. Perfect landing. Now that it has been months since I flown, I would be fearful to try anything in a windy day.

Early CFI experience

Good report. The first one hundred or so hours of instructing will be your opportunity to hone your explanations of basic maneuvers. Take advantage of this opportunity!

This comment is especialy poignant:
Originally posted by UnstableAviator
I have studied more as a CFI than I did as a student. I feel a little pressure to have as much knowledge as I can get, but it sure is hard to make up for all the little things that people have with more flight time. It has made me a better pilot no doubt, and I'm sure that a few years down the road I'll look back on my time as a CFI with very fond memories.
I had the same experience. I found that I had to hit the books hard to (1) be able to answer my students' questions, but more particularly (2) to close gaps in and make up for weak spots in my knowledge - to learn in greater depth things that I should have been taught in-depth when I was a student.

Once again, you will be amazed at the unbelievable amounts of knowledge and experience you will gain through flight instructing.

Keep up the good work!

Latest resources

Back