Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

apcooper

Dude, where's my country?
Just tonight I got to experience my first flight in icing conditions in a 172! I wasn't flying but was riding along in the back with an IFR student for his 250nm requisit XC flight. While descending from 6000 to 3000 on the second leg from Hyannis to Gardner, MA we just started to break out of the cloud layer. The OAT went pretty wild. At 6000 it was +6C. Then at 4000 it was -4C!! We picked up a bit of -FZRA. The windshield became opaque but the wings had only about a fingernail thickness of ice on it. We did the full VOR app w/ circle to land. On the dwnd to base leg my CFII extended full flaps and I was a bit worried about a tail stall. From everything that I could tell though the aerodynamic characteristics seemed not to have changed. There was no apparent loss of airspeed during the procedure turn and the stall speed must not have increased more than 2 or 3 kts since we landed as if there was no ice and the plane obviously didn't stall 10 ft above the rwy. As far as I could tell nothing changed aerodynamically.

My question to all of you is were we just lucky the -FZRA didn't accumulate rapidly and do you belive my CFII should have made a 180 turn back to get out of it eventhough it was only accumulating slowly. We only we 5nm from the airport not counting the PT and ORH was 15nm behind us not in precip.

I admire my CFII. He has over 10,000 hrs. He is low key and NOT a risk taker from what I can see. I do not wan't to Monday morning QB his descision making skills but instead wanted to get many different opinions about this. This somehow seems like a risky game of russian roulette. I actually would have felt safer overloading the C-172 200 lbs or descending 100 ft below the MDA on a non-prec app than I did flying even in light ice. Maybe I'm an absolute chicken when it comes to ANY ice in a 172 or completely ignorant about weight but then again 'a superior pilot uses his superior skills to avoid situations than would require his superior judgement' This is a scenario where it more depends on the planes capability rather than the pilots capibility. In a situation like this it seems as though no weather forcaster can accurately predict the intensity of FZRA and it seems like mere luck whether it will be light or severe!!

Happy new year everyone

Last edited:
apcooper said:
I admire my CFII. He has over 10,000 hrs.

Those pilots can get hurt too, you know.

Anyway, I was flying in the same crap today as well in a light jet.
We had all the anti & de-ice systems turned on and still got iced up pretty good.
And we intentionally "dropped" it in to shorten the exposure.

You should have a beer and consider yourself lucky because I would not have wanted to be in a C-172 today in the northeast.

I think you are right to be scared of ice in a c-172. I am not that far north of where you were. I am half way up the state of Vermont and I gotta say its some kind of nasty outside. Sheets of ice covering everything.

I wouldn't turn around if I were five miles from landing... would hate to turn around and find the ice is there too.

If you want to know how to avoid ice you do this: Don't fly IMC in the northeast in the winter. Kinda limiting? You bet. Thats reality until you get in an airplane with more utility. When dealing with ice its nice to have not just de-ice capability but also anti-ice... power to climb... pressurization to climb high... speed to get outta there.. ect. I wouldn't feel good about flying an ice-certified piston twin in IMC in winter. Really have to have a turbo-prop or jet. And not one of those caravans either!

apcooper said:
Just tonight I got to experience my first flight in icing conditions in a 172! I wasn't flying but was riding along in the back with an IFR student for his 250nm requisit XC flight. While descending from 6000 to 3000 on the second leg from Hyannis to Gardner, MA we just started to break out of the cloud layer. The OAT went pretty wild. At 6000 it was +6C. Then at 4000 it was -4C!! We picked up a bit of -FZRA. The windshield became opaque but the wings had only about a fingernail thickness of ice on it. We did the full VOR app w/ circle to land. On the dwnd to base leg my CFII extended full flaps and I was a bit worried about a tail stall. From everything that I could tell though the aerodynamic characteristics seemed not to have changed. There was no apparent loss of airspeed during the procedure turn and the stall speed must not have increased more than 2 or 3 kts since we landed as if there was no ice and the plane obviously didn't stall 10 ft above the rwy. As far as I could tell nothing changed aerodynamically.

My question to all of you is were we just lucky the -FZRA didn't accumulate rapidly and do you belive my CFII should have made a 180 turn back to get out of it eventhough it was only accumulating slowly. We only we 5nm from the airport not counting the PT and ORH was 15nm behind us not in precip.

I admire my CFII. He has over 10,000 hrs. He is low key and NOT a risk taker from what I can see. I do not wan't to Monday morning QB his descision making skills but instead wanted to get many different opinions about this. This somehow seems like a risky game of russian roulette. I actually would have felt safer overloading the C-172 200 lbs or descending 100 ft below the MDA on a non-prec app than I did flying even in light ice. Maybe I'm an absolute chicken when it comes to ANY ice in a 172 or completely ignorant about weight but then again 'a superior pilot uses his superior skills to avoid situations than would require his superior judgement' This is a scenario where it more depends on the planes capability rather than the pilots capibility. In a situation like this it seems as though no weather forcaster can accurately predict the intensity of FZRA and it seems like mere luck whether it will be light or severe!!

Well I wouldn't try it again thinking the outcome will be the same. Next time you will be a lawn dart.

7B2,

Where were you headed to in a jet today when you picked up a lot of ice. Give me all the juicy details. Like to hear about it!

Sctt@NJA,

Why would doing a 180 be wrong? If you came from ice free air it should always be there behind you as long as YOU act upon your "out." Also I'd feel comfortable flying a light twin certified for known ice. Espically a turbocharged one. In an airliner I wouldn't hesitate to launch tonight. Unlike the VFR into IMC accidents we read about regularly this has to do with the planes capability not the pilots. A B-777 capt couldnt fly an iced up 172 any better than a newly minted insturment pilot.

I'll add to that it was very ironic than the IFR student didn't make a single comment about the ice. It seemed like he was too inexperienced to know what was going on. He has about 140 hrs and will take his IFR checkride in a few weeks. Would you even expect someone like this to know the dangers of ice?

Got icing for the first time on my IFR checkride...NOT a fun experience.

I read a lot about icing before completing the instrument program, but didn't know what Ice looked like. I knew we had potential for ice from the OAT gage and the cloud we were holding in, but never really knew what it would look like.

I just turned to ask, "so what does ice look like?" and he replied "look out your window at the wing".

Pucker factor times a BILLION.

Flying a 172 picking up ice in a hold with 007OVC and only a LOC approach to get back in...sucked. Luckily, approach was able to get us 3,000' lower in the hold and we got out of the ice during the descent, everything melted and now I've got a great story to tell my students.

Ice (or the potential for) has cancelled more flights for me since getting the instrument ticket, but it's better for me to tell the family, "yes, I can fly in the clouds but not today" than end up a firey ball of aluminum in some field.

Ice = NO FUN!

JMHO

-mini

I admire my CFII. He has over 10,000 hrs. He is low key and NOT a risk taker from what I can see.

I would only hope that at over 10,000 hours he knew what he was getting himself into prior to just jumping in and going. It is a reality in that region to expect a fair amount of ice during the winter months, not much you can really do about it. I would not really be doing a lot of this sort of flying a 172 if I were you, no equipment onboard to be able to knock the ice off. Give me a King Air which handles ice like a truck then no problem, a 172? Thanks but no thanks.

be safe
3 5 0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back