First Dual Given....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dog rhymes with ham?

What I remember most was how much detail I had to give to students. Silly me, I was teaching a student in his first few hours as a student and my first few hours of instructing. We where doing a crosswind landing, and at 50 or so feet I asked him to add some rudder. WRONG RUDDER!!!!! :eek: I managed to get it straight before we hit, but I learned two lessons.

1. stay near the controls (with your left hand on your knee you look relaxed and you can get to the controls very quickly and never keep your feet far from the rudder)

2 be very very very very very very specific.

Howdy!

Go back to the FOI after a few hundred hours of dual given. It's amazing how much the FAA does have right...

Those first hours of dual given were tougher for me than the students. They didn't know what they were getting into. I did.

My greatest surprise was just how nervous I was about explaining things properly. The second surprise was just how inadequate my lesson plans were.

What I remember most about instructing was landing practice with an already-soloed student. Never assume the previous instructor taught anything, or that the student understood what was taught. Even without being complacent, I don't think any new instructor is really ready for what can go wrong during a landing nor how poorly a student can be making uncontrolled collisions with the planet and be passed off for solo.

Some examples:
A flurry of activity in the cockpit, completing checklist items, retracting the flaps in a complex, BEFORE touchdown.
Releasing the yoke before, during, and immediately after touchdown.
"Trim? What's that?"
"My last instructor said to land at 90 knots!" (in a Cessna 150)
"My last instructor said to land at 120 knots!" (in a Bonanza)

MYFpilot is right on. The student IS trying to kill you.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back