First Dual Given....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

seattle

I've started studying for the FOI. Looks like a lot to know.

For those of you who instruct, what do you remember most about your first couple hours of dual given? Anything about instructing for the first time that surprised you? Thanks.

Seattle

Early instructing experience

Study and learn the FOI. It is not just a bunch of gobbledegook to regurgitate for the CFI practical, it is knowlege and a manual to live by, a way of life, for flight instructing.

I remember that during my first few hours of instructing I knew what I was doing but didn't feel that I had my shtik down. I was teaching a bunch of young pre-solo CAP cadets. I was teaching the same thing three or four flights a day. It gave me a great opportunity to hone my explanations.

I probably was the world's worst flight student. So, it surprised me how quickly my students picked up what I was teaching them in comparison to me learning it. I also remember soloing out my first student. I knew that he was ready, but was I? So, I signed off his student certificate and logbook, stepped out, and sent him on his way, wondering, what if? He did fine, but I suspect that I was more excited about creating a new pilot than he was about soloing.

I actually felt bad charging my first couple of students. After about a hundred hours or so of dual given you kinda get the hang of things.

One thing that surprised me when I first started instructing is all the interesting people that you get to meet, and all the different personalities you deal with. You really have to be a people person for this job. Some days you have to be a used car salesman to keep your student coming back. Then the next day you have to be Dr. Phil because your student's a complete basket case. Unfortunately flight training, unlike most other rigorous and complex endeavors, does not require an aptitude test to begin. It only requires money. Which unfortunately some people have a little too much of. So, your challenge as an instructor will be to mold the people who have the "right stuff" as well as those who have the "wrong stuff" into successful, safe and competent pilots.
At least for me, I felt the most accomplished as an instructor not when my "Ace" passed his check ride, but when the one I wondered "how he even drove home successfully" passed his check ride.

However, I think an old and wise flight instructor said it best "Just remember, your students are always trying to kill you"

The FOI for the most part is good common sense information.

It has been a while, but the thing that I remember most about my first dual given was being nervous. Nervous about being professional, nervous about making a mistake that the student would catch, nervous about almost everything. Like MYFpilot, I felt bad about charging the first few students. It didn't take long to get the hang of it and lose the 'deer in headlights' feeling.

Instructing is a great way to learn and grow as a pilot. Never forget that you are there to make sure that your students learn to be competent pilots and TO HAVE A GOOD TIME. Flying is supposed to be fun and too many instructors seem to have the attitude that students are solely there to provide $$ and hours to the instructor. They are there to learn as much as you are there for a job and to build your time and you will be a better instructor if you keep that in the back of your mind.

Good luck!

As far as ground briefings go...

If you use the "lecture method" as described in the FOI book, your students will just sit there and nod in agreement with anything you say. "The sky is purple...sure, The sun rises in the west... ok...."
If you say it they will probably believe you. Then, like any good CFI you say something like "So do you understand?" "Yup." "Do you have any questions?" "Nope."

To find out if they've actually learned anything, ask them a specific question about what you have been talking about.

Good luck!

Also, your first couple of hours will entail a lot of, "it's like", and "you know" and "uh um huh's".. you'll end up confusing yourself trying to explain some of the how's and why's.

I was surprised at how much more clear many concepts became as I had to explain them to another person.

I began to see the shortcomings in my own student experience when my instructor hadn't adequately explained something to me, and that insight helped me to do a better job.

The biggest thing I had to learn during my first dual hours was when to keep my mouth shut. My boss generously described my style as "thorough" which I knew to mean "picky". I took a chill pill and both student and CFI started having more fun. It's a fine art to know when your student is receptive to critiquing and when s/he's best left alone to learn. Enjoy!

I agree.

My boss said the same thing to me, which didn't make sense in a 141 "accelerated" program. I thought my job was to teach, in the active sense, not just watch someone log hours in an airplane and run up a bill.

You won't please everyone. That's what other instructors are for.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** !!!! I should've went to San Diego State.

What I remember about my first Duals was the tremendous worry if I was actually going to be able to teach someone the 'right' way. Especially when you realize that some students learn...differently(slower) than others. Another thing I remember is getting some of the problem students at my flight school. I was one of the 'last resorts' so to speak since I have the patience of Yoda. Only without the mad force skills. But all in all you're about to embark on a great start to a career as a professional. Try not to get disgruntled so early ok? And good luck.

Rook
600' AGL Autopilot on.
'WHEW!'

Latest resources

Back