Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J.Otto

Okay, controversial topic I realize.

During the medical exam is one subjected to a drug test?

I recall that one needs to pee, but is this to check for diabetes?

Basically, a friend wants back into aviation or at least to get current again and will require a medical certificate. He isn't a druggie or anything, but has on occasion taken a few hits of weed.

Will this show up on a test?

I personally don't think mary jane is the worst thing, but I certainly dont condone it's mixing with flying at all. Not before or after.

He wants to get back into it as its been a few years since he flew regularly.

I understand the moral safety issues here, but this person wants to get back into his passion and has decided not to smokethat stuff.

Sooooo... his health is otherwsie okay, its just that he may still have pot in his system and doesnt want to jeopardize the ability to ever get a medical.

Feel free to banter but at least could someone give informed information about whether some pot would show up.

THANKS.

He would be incriminating himself when he flys because he is not medically fit, and he would be incriminating himself when he lies on the medical form. Its just some reefer, if he really wants to fly hes got to give it up. The penalties for the above two things is far worse than being caught in possession of it. I know your going to get alot of this, but, "I don't want to share the sky with him."

HAHA. hope it was quality stuff! :smash:

Not tested during a medical but it should be. Drug tests need to be sent out to a lab and usually takes several days for the results. At an AME, he just tests for illness in the pee, not drugs or alcohol. Since they give you your medical on the spot it would be impossble to detect it.

Your friend should stay sober for at least a few months before commencing his training.

But as far as drug screening during an AME medical, it doesnt happen.

On the FAA Medical Application Form 8500-8, in the medical history portion (section 18) block N, it asks for illegal substance abuse in the past 2 years.

If he has smoked within the past 24 months, and answers "No", he's falsified a document, if he answers "Yes", he will be denied a certificate.

Short an sweet, there's no place for that behavior in aviation.

Last edited:
He would be incriminating himself when he flys because he is not medically fit, and he would be incriminating himself when he lies on the medical form. Its just some reefer, if he really wants to fly hes got to give it up. The penalties for the above two things is far worse than being caught in possession of it. I know your going to get alot of this, but, "I don't want to share the sky with him."

If he's not doing it the day of or the day before, then it doesn't matter. If you want to really worry about a handicapping drug then worry about alcohol. That stuff is far more dangerous than a toke or two on the bong.

If you fly for a 121 or 135 op then don't do it - you are subject to regular/random testing. Its not worth the worry.

Okay, controversial topic I realize.

During the medical exam is one subjected to a drug test?

I recall that one needs to pee, but is this to check for diabetes?

Basically, a friend wants back into aviation or at least to get current again and will require a medical certificate. He isn't a druggie or anything, but has on occasion taken a few hits of weed.

Will this show up on a test?

I personally don't think mary jane is the worst thing, but I certainly dont condone it's mixing with flying at all. Not before or after.

He wants to get back into it as its been a few years since he flew regularly.

I understand the moral safety issues here, but this person wants to get back into his passion and has decided not to smokethat stuff.

Sooooo... his health is otherwsie okay, its just that he may still have pot in his system and doesnt want to jeopardize the ability to ever get a medical.

Feel free to banter but at least could someone give informed information about whether some pot would show up.

THANKS.

your "friend"?

comon, get off the weed, man:laugh:

Latest resources

Back