First Airplane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I owned a Grumman AA-1 Yankee.

Great little plane, fun to fly. I used if for cross country time building and did my CFI in it.

I paid around 600.00 a year for insurance and had it in a hangar. The hanger rent was 100.00 per month.

I put around 400 hours on the plane in 2 years. Each annual was about 1200 dollars. I put a new canopy and windshield in it and few instruments and the have you.

I sold the plane for 2500 more then I paid for it so the only money I was out, was that for hangar, fuel, and oil. The plane came with an Auto fuel STC so that saved me a ton in fuel costs. I bought my oil from the local distributor so about half price of that from the FBO. Landing lights I bought at tractor supply, same make, model, just 45 dollars cheaper.

I figured it cost around 22 dollars an hour to operate. The more you fly, the more you save. And if you have another guy go in on the plane with you your fixed overhead is cut in half.

I borrowed the 14,500 dollars for the plane from the bank. The payment was 175.00 dollars a month.

If I were you I would look at a Grumman tiger of Cheetah. Great plane for the money and will most likely be IFR certified and that way you can do your instrument rating in it as well. I see them going for 40K-50K. Cheaper and faster then a 172.

Mark

So im planning to go to a local FBO at FRG and get it for $6k.

I started flying at FRG in 1983 at Eat Coast Airways (loooong gone)..........

Just my humble opinion, but I prefer the Pipers over the Cessnas in the light single market. The Grumman suggestion is also a good choice, as they see, to be under the radar, pricewise, and offer decent performance.

Dominicinco said:
ahh teaching, thats another subject I'd like to touch on. Besides PFT and becoming a flight instructor or finding a cropdusting/traffic watch/pipe patrol jobs, how else can you earn T/T. After getting your commercial, is flying charter for a hospital or roses from S.A. or a transcontinental seafood route feasible? With your commercial, you can basically fly anything, anyone, anywhere for pay correct? besides drugs of course.
Out of the above list, with a commercial (or without), the only thing that you could probably get in quickly is drugs. But who knows, even they may require some turbine expereience :). Not much out there right now for a commercial pilot with 2-300h TT. You can always get lucky but for most, it is hard to find something. May be if you have some tailwheel experience you can try som banner towing. I would say charter is out of the question unless you know someone. Try the different subsections of the forum to get an idea. Good luck.

But the cost of the plane works out real good when you have the best dad in the world, who gives you a gas card and pays for everything flying. But im the one working on the plane. But thats not bad at all, its kinda fun

Last edited by Flyin Tony : Today at 04:14.

Is your parents adopting?

Aircraft ownership can be rewarding and frustrating. If you decide to buy, have a pre buy done by a trusting AP or IA. Depending on the AD's required, it could cost you more to own than rent. For a cheap time builder, I recommend a Cessna 140. Very cheap to fly, and you can find some IFR ones. I wouldn't fly a 140 IFR except for a cloud layer or practice approaches though. Just not enough power. But, it makes a GREAT tailwheel trainer (which can help in getting jobs like banner towing, glider tow, etc). It burns about 5 GPH in fuel, and your annual's don't usually take much. The AD's are most likely all complied with, with the exception of the recurring ones which are few. A nice VFR 140 will run about $20K. IFR maybe a little more if all it has is a nav/loc/gs and gyros. Mine was a great airplane. I miss it sometimes. Also, the Cessna 140 Association has people all over the country that know these airplanes that will help you with the purchase. A great organization to join.

only buy if going to fly 100+ hrs a year. buy what you can with no partner.

go to www.planequest.com for info on operating cost per hour

call 1-800-62plane for MBNA's aircraft loan dept- in partnership with AOPA.

before buying get a real prebuy done including a AD (airworithiness directive) report.
a real prebuy is not 4-5 hours but more like an annual.The prebuy mechanic should not
know the seller or have maintained the aircraft in question.

Dominicinco said:
Besides PFT and becoming a flight instructor or finding a cropdusting/traffic watch/pipe patrol jobs, how else can you earn T/T.

LMFAO...PFTing and cropdusting in the same sentence, for TIME BUILDING? Holy $hit, does that mean I MIGHT have a chance to hit the majors one day?

Latest resources

Back