First Airplane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dominicinco

I hate to sound like a broken record but i'm not sure if anyone has touched on this subject.
My friend and I are interested in buying a single engine airplane to use during our flight training(PPL, Instrument, and gain T/T). What make or model, we do not know yet.
My question is, How many of you in here own your very own airplane or share with someone, and where do you keep your airplane- in a enclosed hangar or out in the field using a tie-down.
And, is there a significant difference on your insurance premium to using either one,
Does keeping your plane in a hangar offset the cost of having your plane outside on a tie down with cheaper rent but with higher insurance premium and maybe more fees in maintainance because its outside?

-Dominic

gkrangers said:
http://skyhawk.cessna.com/

Can't help you on the other questions..but theres no better plane to train in.

Great trainer and seats 4 people. Enough range to take some nice trips in the 400-500 mile range.
Gkrangers, whats the going price on one of these, say 1970 -1977, used of course.
I was leaning towards a Piper Cherokee or Warrior, whats better?
Haven't flown in a Cessna yet, so I guess I should wait until i do to base my decision.
thanks for the tip though.

I've got 12 hours in a Cessna 172 and 25 in a Piper Cherokee Warrior/Archer. I will never go near a Cessna again after flying the Pipers. The Piper is a much more stable, fun to fly aircraft, in my opinion at least. Its also interesting how we have 2 Archers/1 Warrior at our school, and 5 Cessna 172s, and the time flown by the Cessnas combined doesnt come close to what one of the Pipers get. Plus used Archers/Warriors are pretty cheap and a great value.

Not that I am an expert but I have seen several older IFR certified C152s anywhere from 15k-25k on the net. I don't know what else may be cheaper than that. If it is only for training, and time building, than you don't need anything fast at all. 1h total time is 1h total time in the book regardless of the NM distance. Just my 0.02. But than again, why not try to teach in that 152 instead?

DenverDude2002 said:
I've got 12 hours in a Cessna 172 and 25 in a Piper Cherokee Warrior/Archer. I will never go near a Cessna again after flying the Pipers. The Piper is a much more stable, fun to fly aircraft, in my opinion at least. Its also interesting how we have 2 Archers/1 Warrior at our school, and 5 Cessna 172s, and the time flown by the Cessnas combined doesnt come close to what one of the Pipers get. Plus used Archers/Warriors are pretty cheap and a great value.
Denver- Im curious as to how much your school charges you per flight hour.
Farmingdale SUNY, even though its a state run and part 141 school charges $12k - $14k to get your PPL. F*ing incredible, right?
So im planning to go to a local FBO at FRG and get it for $6k.
what are the differences between a Cherokee, Warrior and Archer BTW.

huncowboy said:
Not that I am an expert but I have seen several older IFR certified C152s anywhere from 15k-25k on the net. I don't know what else may be cheaper than that. If it is only for training, and time building, than you don't need anything fast at all. 1h total time is 1h total time in the book regardless of the NM distance. Just my 0.02. But than again, why not try to teach in that 152 instead?
ahh teaching, thats another subject I'd like to touch on. Besides PFT and becoming a flight instructor or finding a cropdusting/traffic watch/pipe patrol jobs, how else can you earn T/T. After getting your commercial, is flying charter for a hospital or roses from S.A. or a transcontinental seafood route feasible? With your commercial, you can basically fly anything, anyone, anywhere for pay correct? besides drugs of course.

Last edited:
I would say get your ppl and 100 hours or so. Then start looking at planes a little better. Get trade-a-plane and start looking in there. My Dad bought a 1964 Comanche 250, I fly about 3-5 hours a week (on good weeks). I know we must have put around 2,500$ in gas by now. We had a shop bill for 1,000$. And another 400-600$ shop bill tomorrow. 3 oil changes. about 50-60$ each (i think). 265$ a month for a hanger. You want to get a hanger. Makes life alot easier. And also work on the audio panel 200$ and then another 300$ on that (should have bought a new one). We had the plane from Jan this year and the tac just rolled over 100 hours. So it does get costly. But its fun. I love it, with me just getting out of High School, all the high school chicks want to go flying. I think I have 3 girlfriends because of the plane. So it works out for me.

Flyin Tony said:
I love it, with me just getting out of High School, all the high school chicks want to go flying. I think I have 3 girlfriends because of the plane. So it works out for me.
LMAO, interesting

I know alot of people on here say that telling the girl that your a pilot doesnt work, But my pu*s*y rate went from 2 to 5 in 4 months. And then after the plane came along, shot to a high of 9. And its going to be 10 this weekend I hope. A friend of mine and his girlfriend and her SISTER are going to vegas for sat night.

But the cost of the plane works out real good when you have the best dad in the world, who gives you a gas card and pays for everything flying. But im the one working on the plane. But thats not bad at all, its kinda fun

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back