• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Firefox web browser

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thunderbirds Junk mail filters are actually quite good when used with or without a server side e-mail spam filter.

We have been quite impressed with it and have ditched Outlook and Outlook Express entirely.

Peter

Free at last

got tired of the frozen screens, pop-ups, and slow response. AND tired of the spyware scans with 2 or 3 different products. Finally loaded Firefox. So far so good.

My computer is not quite the POS I thought it was. Due for a new one, but with Firefox it's still useable.

There are some optimized versions of Firefox out there, that provide enhanced security, stability, and speed.

I use the version from http://www.moox.ws

That site has various versions, each one designed to exploit features of particular processors and/or instruction sets and is thus limited in its compatibility with other processors

Microsoft unveils security features in new Windows release
Associated Press
April 25, 2005 WINDOWS0426

SAN JOSE, Calif. -— Microsoft Corp.'s plan to hardwire computer security into a silicon chip rather than relying on software alone will make its debut in the next release of the Windows PC operating system that will ship late next year.
The technology, to be described by Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates during a speech in Seattle today, will protect the startup of PCs equipped with a security chip and ensure that sensitive files aren't accessible when someone tries to boot the computer using a portable hard drive or floppy disk.

Gates also was expected to showcase other features of the frequently delayed operating system code-named Longhorn, including improved graphics that support see-through windows, better ways to visualize data, more sensible file organization and faster searching.

During his keynote at the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference, Gates was expected to declare that Longhorn will be Microsoft's most secure operating system ever.

It's also the first to implement the company's vision of boosting security by placing cryptographic keys in silicon chips rather than storing them as data on a hard drive. It's much more difficult to crack a chip than it is a program.
The initiative — once code-named Palladium but later called the Next Generation Secure Computing Base, or NGSCB — was announced in 2002 and was quickly attacked by privacy advocates, Microsoft critics and others as a mechanism for taking control of PCs from their owners.

Some claimed it would enable strict copyright protection schemes for music, movies and software. It also could restrict the tinkering that has driven computer industry innovation over the years, they said.

But the first NGSCB product — secure startup — isn't expected to be as controversial as chip-based rights management. Microsoft, however, has not said how else Longhorn might interact with the chip.

Neil Charney, director of product management in Microsoft's Windows group, said the feature is most likely to be used by business computers, especially in laptops that store sensitive data that could come back to haunt companies after a theft.

A number of companies, including Microsoft, are working together to beef up security using a combination of hardware and software. NGSCB is just one iteration, though it's likely to have the most impact given Microsoft's dominance.

Some PC vendors, including IBM Corp. and Hewlett-Packard Co., have been offering PCs with security chips for years. Today, HP announced it will support Longhorn's implementation on some of its business computers and workstations.
Gates also was expected to unveil other security enhancements in Longhorn, including user accounts that don't always have the highest privileges but are flexible enough to allow software installation. Other operating systems such as Linux and Mac OS X support such accounts by prompting for an administrator's password when needed.

Longhorn also will include a number of visual improvements such as icons that show content from the documents they represent. The software also is expected to introduce more intuitive ways of organizing files as well as faster searching.

Charney said the features will work even without a new file system that was originally scheduled to ship with Longhorn. The updated file system, called WinFS, is now slated to be available in a preview release when the final version of Longhorn is shipped in late 2006

I upgraded to it little over a month or so ago, and I've never looked back. I like to surf multiple pages at once (like on here), and it's built in "tabbing" feature is worth the upgrade alone!

Check it out, I've only found one site so far that it didn't work with, and even at that it was no big deal!

jarhead said:
Longhorn also will include a number of visual improvements such as icons that show content from the documents they represent. The software also is expected to introduce more intuitive ways of organizing files as well as faster searching....when the final version of Longhorn is shipped in late 2006.

They hope. :D It was originally supposed to ship in early 2005, but they had to keep stripping out features (like WinFS) to make any kind of reasonable release date, and it's STILL looking like what's left of the upgrade is still over a year and a half away.

Of course, Apple's new system is already shipping, and will be available in retail stores on Friday. People are already receiving their copies in the mail from pre-orders. Check it out:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

The searching technology is phenomenal, along with many other features that MS hopes will be in Longhorn when they finally finish it. :D

And to keep it on topic, yes, it runs Firefox very well.

Last edited:
I also, thanks to a fellow flightinfo dude, have made the switch to Firefox. I love it. The ONLY problem I've encountered is the inability to cut and paste on this site using it. I haven't figured that out yet, but it's worth that minor inconvenience. Heck, I'm wearing a muzzle on this message board half the time anyway .

Hugh Jorgan said:
The ONLY problem I've encountered is the inability to cut and paste on this site using it. .

With Firefox I highlight, right-click (Copy), then on the top menu bar I click edit then paste. Seems to work. I'm really shouldn't be giving advice on computer tech. I'm the hunt, peck and smack type.

The problem for me is that when I go to do the "paste" function, it isn't an option. It doesn't happen anywere else, just on flightinfo.

Latest resources

Back