Firefox web browser

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Launchpad said:
Anyone made the switch? Just wondering if it's worth the switch.

I use both Firefox and IE as well as a few others. Both IE and Firefox have their advantages, and I would recommend using both on your machine.

First of all, with IE, it is built into your OS and integrates well with other applications such as Office and others. Also, IE is still the most popular browser showing up on about 90% of all computers. This means that many sites, especially those of smaller websites, will work a lot better than Firefox simply because the sites designer only used IE.

As for Firefox, its advantages are small size, and a descent pop-up blocker. It does, however, suffer from some strange quircks especially with CSS and is more difficult to use on a computer with more than one user.

Either way, what I might suggest is try Firefox and see what you think yourself. If you like it, use it. Also keep IE on your computer though. That way if you hit a site or something else that doesn't work on Firefox you'll still have your backup.

Netscape is based on Mozilla. For some reason Mozilla got rid of Netscape.
They then developed Firefox. I use them both. No IE except where necessary(which ain't often). Netscape has everything that Firefox does, only more options. I like it better, but either one of them is waaaaay better than IE.

They then developed Firefox. I use them both. No IE except where necessary(which ain't often). Netscape has everything that Firefox does, only more options. I like it better, but either one of them is waaaaay better than IE. The words have been running together on Netscape, Mozilla, and IE.

ATR-DRIVR said:
Have been using Firefox for about 6 months and it seems a bit slower than IE and alot of the pages do not load any pics. Homepage or news pages.
Ideas?
Maybe you're running the pre-release beta. Try going to www.mozilla.org and downloading Version 1.0.

NoahWerka said:
They then developed Firefox. I use them both. No IE except where necessary(which ain't often). Netscape has everything that Firefox does, only more options. I like it better, but either one of them is waaaaay better than IE. The words have been running together on Netscape, Mozilla, and IE.

err, Netscape is based on Mozilla (at least version 7.x). Netscape went out of business and AOL bought (or merged with) netscape.

Actually AOL bought netscape around version 5 or so. AOL wanted todevelope some browser to access outside of it's own network. AOL paidbig bucks for netscape.

Well AOL wasn't unable to do what they wanted w/ it. So AOL gave itback to mozilla. mozilla could not expand netscape any further so theydeveloped Firefox. I picked it up about a week ago. It is great.

I have used netscape, & in fact I still use netscape at times.

As for the space running together. I noticed it 3-4 weeks ago. I don't have a clue what it is.

Has anyone used thunderbird yet. I believe it is still in beta trial's but wondering if anyone has tried it.

Last edited:
Thunderbird

cessna_driver2 said:
Has anyone used thunderbird yet. I believe it is still in beta trial's but wondering if anyone has tried it.
I tried it several months ago. It's an alright e-mail client. I don't recall it being especially extraordinary.

I recently switched to it after years with OE. I like OE's layout & presentation of images etc. I just don't like its security lapses. Now that Thunderbird can be configured using a plugin to have the addresses permanently displayed, and does a good job of importing OE address books & emails, I switched. I also wanted Thunderbird as a convenient way to convert my email files to a format that's useable under Linux.

Latest resources

Back