• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Finding Army Reserve Heli Units

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think they probably generalized when they provided you that information regarding Guard unit requirements. There are ANG units that require you to be enlisted in their unit in order to apply for an UPT slot, but the majority do not.

The ANG also has helicopters. The 176WG in AK, the 129 RQW in CA, and the 106 RQW in NY. That's from the www.goang.com website, I'm not sure if it's the most updated list since BRAC 2005 and all.

The AFRC also has helos, the 920th rescue group, which flies C-130's and HH-60's, @ Patrick AFB FL (probably not your cup of tea if you like the winter..you sick puppy :D)

Don't know about the ARMY, but that item was touched on before on this thread already. But you have the right idea by considering the Warrant Officer route for the Reserve Army Helo slot over the regular officer commision route.

Now, if what they meant to say was that it pretty much takes an enlistment to be able to land a Guard job these days, then I agree (flamesuit on). I feel it's extremely uphill to land a Guard slot these days as a non-prior, particularly because of BRAC. Take it for what it's worth, that has been my first-hand experience. I've rushed several units in the past 2 years and it's the same ol' song and dance when it comes down to the interview. But I don't think I have to tell you that if in fact you've been applying to units for 3 years. 2006 will be the beginning of my 3rd consecutive year applying to the Guard and Reserves, and it's been really frustrating, so I feel your pain.

I think your flexibility in airframe should improve your chances of eventually getting picked up by somebody. I have only applied to fighter units so the outcome has been much crappier than if I had been applying to heavy units. That's not a knock on the heavy guys at all; it's just a more laid back community and a mission which is in higher demand, so the hiring is more attainable. So if anything, it's a compliment to the heavy mission and people.

I think it's a great thing that you've been able to apply during college, for the most part Guard units won't consider you off-the-street if you're not close to graduation (i.e. last semester or so)

Good luck man.

Last edited:
skipro101 said:
I have heard that since im not prior or current service, that I cant go for the ANG units.

This is what confused me. When you say ANG, people will assume you mean the Air National Guard. The Army National Guard is generally just referred to as the NG or the Army Guard to avoid confusion.
Anyway, I don't necessarily agree with hindsight about the prior enlistment, although it would probably help in most cases. He is 100% correct that it depends on the unit. I also agree that getting into a unit is frustrating no matter where you are coming from, so hang in there. Don't let two or three years discourage you. You're right in the fat part of the curve.
I think your chances are fairly good (speaking Air Guard now) since you are almost through with college, and most units have UPT boards at least once a year for the purpose of picking up guys just like yourself to prevent the squadrons from filling up too much with old disgruntled majors. Your flight experience will help, in that it shows committment to aviation, but as others will point out, civilian flying doesn't always translate readily to military (and vice versa), so don't make the same mistake others have by relying too heavily on it.
In your position, I would take the time to make some personal visits to the guard unit you are interested in getting into, introduce yourself and let the guys there get the know you. This is huge in the guard, since once you get in there's a fair chance that these guys will have to put up with you for a while. In most units it helps a lot if you actually live in the area. This is especially true with helicopter units since there is usually some kind of an alert mission associated with them. At least one unit I am aware will not hire guys that live outside the local area.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

ack, looks like I did type that wrong.

Now I think I understand. Its just like the Air National Guard. Its a unit thing, with some untis simply refusing to even accept packets from out of state or out of unit people...

Thanks for the clarification.

I know someone who just graduated from Texas A&M and as a civilian, got picked up to fly AH-64's out of Conroe TX. She just got commissioned as a 2LT. Good luck!

-Neal

Latest resources

Back