Finding Army Reserve Heli Units

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skipro101

I am a senoir in college who was/still is trying to get into an ANG fighter unit. Ive been going through the process for 3 years and feel confortable about what to do.

Recently, ive take an intro flight in a helicopter and, well...damn that is good stuff!

Its opened my eyes to that type of flying.

In order to give me the best chance of becomming a military aviator, I would like to also (in addition to ANG fixed wing units) try and go for a helo job. Keep in mind I am only interested in the army Reserve units...I dont want to join active duty. I dont mind if we get deployed for a year or two or....but, I would like to keep my other career (flying civilian fixed wing).

I have heard that since im not prior or current service, that I cant go for the ANG units. So that leaves amry reserve units. I think what I want is to become a Warrant Flight Officer in the Army Reserve.

I havent had good luck with using the online unit locator, it doesnt find smaller units.

I am trying to find AH-64 or blackhawk army reserve units. I would prefer them to be close to the mountains (skiing is a big part of my life), so Utah, Colorado, Washington, Wyoming all are perferable to southern units.

Anyone got any ideas?

Btw, my stats are:

3.0GPA, Graduate this year with a B.S. in Aeronautics
FAA Commercial Multi-Single-Instrument
CFI/MEI
1100TT
22 years old
1.0hrs of helo time! hehe

Thanks a million

PS... is the process basicly the same as the ANG/AFRES ??? Ie, take standardized test, apply directly to units or a national board, get selected, wait 1, 2 or even 3 years before oyu finally attend UPT, then after a year or so of UPT, go through 2 years of seasoning by flying full time at your unit, then only fly a few times a month?

Last edited:
I sent in an email with basically the same question to an ARMY rep.
And was told:

“The ARMY only has for reserve units in the Country that has flight Warrant Officers.These units are at Fort Knox, KY; Fort Hood, TX; Fort Monroe, VA; and Fort Eustis, VA.”

I hope this helps.
Good Luck & Happy New Year!

B Seals,

If thats true that stinks. I wish the guard didnt have a prior enlistment requirement.

Anyone know how long you have to be enlisted in the guard before you can apply for a helo slot?

YAGSM,

Its on this forum on the "helo" section. Its a recent post.

So I can go to IERWT in the guard and not be prior?

I don't know about the army, but that's not generally true in the air national guard. The air guard does have helicopters.

hrmm..

Well, the two things I was talking about was Army Resreve and Army National Guard.

I am applying to the Air National Guard for a pointy nose slot, didnt realize they had helos. I should look into that too.

Thanks

Latest resources

Back