Finders Fee?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jumppilot03

I have been approached by an individual who would like to add his jet to our 135 certificate. Lately I have been working as a middle man between said individual and company. I know full well that adding another jet to the certificate will include more work for me and revenue for the company. My question is, what is a reasonable finders fee to ask for from my company? Some have said a flat rate and others a percentage. The airplane is a light jet and would double our turbine fleet currently consisting of 1 jet.

It is interesting that you are seeking a finder's fee from your employer. While I could understand that if you were acting as a third party, it seems that you have a duty to your employer to link the two. It would be nice if your employer tossed you a bonus for that but that would be gravy for performing a sevice which will benefit your company and you.

1st rule of biz, don't do anything for free. Don't let your company or anyone let you believe that you should do this for free. I'd try to work out a deal where you are paid per hour the aircraft is flown, even if you aren't flying it.

I came upon a possible deal on another pilot forum to trade our Lear for a Citation which is what our Pt 91 owner has been trying to do but cannot find anyone to buy the Lear. My boss said I would get a finders fee for locating the opportunity. I had no idea what to expect however. I would have thought at least $1,000 even though 1% of the Lear would be like 15,000. The deal never worked out though.

I like your advice landlover. I however have no idea on a percentage or amount to ask for. Do you mind getting more specific.

I have heard of pilots getting as much as 3% but i'd say 0.5%-1.5% is the normal range.

1% of the management fee for the first year (monthly contract) or 3% pay raise. Which ever is higher.

You have added value to your position and presence within the organization. If you didn't already have your job, you would not offer to fly the new customer's aircraft for free, so why then would you work MORE for FREE?

Don't be bashful. Don't be demanding. Just assertive. Owners can smell fear and beat you down into a puddle with it. Your current pay check is based upon your normal and ordinary service to the company. If you have run the lead through and qualified the prospective owner to a successful and fruitful contract to them and your company, that has been beyond your normal and ordinary service and therefore commensurate with an equal monetary recognition of your contribution.

KEEP IN MIND. A "Bonus" is taxed at a much higher tax rate than your wages. Your company will write off 100% of whatever they give you while what you take home may be only 50% of the original amount.
If you can, get the pay hike! You will likely put more of the pay increase in your pocket than the bonus. Your tax accountant or turbotax can forecast 2009 for your liability under each scenario provided we have enough Republicans left that still have a set to fight Barry off for another year or two.

As your boss, I would not respect you if you didn't ask for some props for your hard work.

Good Luck!
Merry Christmas!

100-1/2

I have been approached by an individual who would like to add his jet to our 135 certificate. Lately I have been working as a middle man between said individual and company. I know full well that adding another jet to the certificate will include more work for me and revenue for the company. My question is, what is a reasonable finders fee to ask for from my company? Some have said a flat rate and others a percentage. The airplane is a light jet and would double our turbine fleet currently consisting of 1 jet.

$25 - $50 per hour everytime that plane flies

Taxes

KEEP IN MIND. A "Bonus" is taxed at a much higher tax rate than your wages.

Check with your accountant. This is not true. Note: don't have your tax professionals give you flying advice and don't have your flight professionals give you tax advice.

However, from an employee's perspective a raise is usually preferable to a bonus becuase you will raise your salary for future years. However, a raise is usually paid over a year's time and a bonus in one lump sum.

Fly safe.

Do the numbers on your 2007 Tax filing(if you even filed), add 3% to your wages and see your liability for the untaxed increase and then do it again with the proportionate withholdings on the increase to determine your total tax liability to find your refund or payment due. The current tax system penalizes you on January 1 if you failed to give Caesar's his share before December 31. The difference you will find from computing the two wage-increase scenarios on your last tax filing will clearly define that penalty in the neighborhood of 15-25% depending on your tax bracket.

But, I am guessing it will be easier to come up with another clever line about advice on brain surgery or rocket science.

BTW - thanks for quoting the part where I suggested an ACCOUNTANT to be a source for projecting the tax consequences for his situation. Classic NJ by far. I would renew that Hooked on Phonics subscription. Wait! I am sorry. I just noticed you are Royalty. For sure, anyone with a Lockheed Type uses Ebonics!

The point of the thread was a guy navigating the pitfalls of asking for props in this market and we were instead blessed by the wealth of your experience and type ratings to argue semantics. I will give you the benefit of the doubt not given to me and guess you should have tipped your head back just a little farther to activate the Tri-focal portion of your lenses to clearly see the line I mentioned about consulting the accountant.

I still humbly bow before your throne and kiss softly each of the Type rings upon your fingers oh mighty guidance god of the aluminum skies.

100-1/2

Latest resources

Back