• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Financial Reasons To Be Against Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You forgot to add the compounding on the difference in capt pay and fo pay for the time between when you would make cappy and 60. It could EASILY double your number.

Gup

actually, what you need to do is take the annual compensation numbers you've come up with and discount them back to today (at a reasonable 4% or so a year).

Your numbers are too vague, not based on fact. Too many assumptions, therefore your math is meaningless and holds no merit. For all you know, you'll be on the street at age 57 going on your 3rd wife and 4th kid...wishing you could fly to 65. I have an idea, why dont you make an extra 1.5m between now and age 60 so you could just quit then. You could hire some firemen to shoot an early retirement load on you at 60 instead of waiting to 65.

Your numbers are too vague, not based on fact. Too many assumptions, therefore your math is meaningless and holds no merit. For all you know, you'll be on the street at age 57 going on your 3rd wife and 4th kid...wishing you could fly to 65. I have an idea, why dont you make an extra 1.5m between now and age 60 so you could just quit then. You could hire some firemen to shoot an early retirement load on you at 60 instead of waiting to 65.

Wow,
Thanks for an insightful and well though out response. I used the only numbers available, was conservative in the math. Ill be happy to give you are current pay scales from our concessionary contract and let you do the math. By the way I would have no one else to blame but myself if I had 3 wives and 4 children and would not expect the rest of the pilot base to suffer because I was irresponsible.

Wow,
Thanks for an insightful and well though out response. I used the only numbers available, was conservative in the math. Ill be happy to give you are current pay scales from our concessionary contract and let you do the math. By the way I would have no one else to blame but myself if I had 3 wives and 4 children and would not expect the rest of the pilot base to suffer because I was irresponsible.

Thanks for taking the time to put these numbers out there. I have a degree in finance and would totally agree that your numbers are super conservative. Another side that should be considered is the health side. It is hardly arguable that this job takes its toll on your body healthwise. Nobody knows exactly how much, because nobody outside the profession gives a $hit. However, i can only imagine that more damage is done exponentially as your body gets older. And the argument of "if you don't like it, then do something else" isn't valid, because this is all in response to the additional effects of extending the retirement age. It is very sad to see that the industry is continuing to split, with pilots of one airline against another, and now senior vs junior. I would imagine that very few of the guys getting close to retirement really care whether or not the rule gets changed the day after they retire (always an exception, and commendable to those who are doing this because they believe it benefits the whole). It is hardly an argument based on principle in most cases, or the good of the profession as a whole. It is a selfish push, that ends the day one retires. Without pilots sticking together in the past, and giving from time to time for the good of the whole, this job would probably not be worth doing. The pilots who have enjoyed the good old days of not being harassed by TSA, of good contracts, and of planes filled with people that appreciated a ride and wore more than a wife beater, had their day. Too bad about the pensions, I am quite sure that the next generation of pilots will have their challenges as well, like competing against airlines from lesser developed parts of the world flying old airplanes for dirt cheap from point to point within the United States. Who is going to make up for my lost income? I certainly hope that our generation will realize that this job has always been a roller coaster and not sacrifice our young to make up for their bad fortune, or the fact that their career ended on the down swing. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Couple of questions:

Is this the figures for age 60?

Why don't you run the numbers at 63, 64, 65 and include SS, Medicare, supplimental medical coverage costs, and drawdown of your retirement.

At 41, I can't take full SS bennies until 67, at 62 I only get 70% bennies.

Medicare won't kick in until I'm 65.

Last I checked, cobra or other independent self-paid health coverage costs $800+ per month out my pocket.

And, then calculate drawn down at 80% of last year's earnings for 3,4, or 5 years as the case above warrants.

Remember, those airlines with pensions are few in number. Those with "other than 401(k)'s" are rare as well. It will take 5-10 years to regain earnings that were realized before the BK festival of the post 9/11 era.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to put these numbers out there. I have a degree in finance and would totally agree that your numbers are super conservative. Another side that should be considered is the health side. It is hardly arguable that this job takes its toll on your body healthwise. Nobody knows exactly how much, because nobody outside the profession gives a $hit. However, i can only imagine that more damage is done exponentially as your body gets older. And the argument of "if you don't like it, then do something else" isn't valid, because this is all in response to the additional effects of extending the retirement age. It is very sad to see that the industry is continuing to split, with pilots of one airline against another, and now senior vs junior. I would imagine that very few of the guys getting close to retirement really care whether or not the rule gets changed the day after they retire (always an exception, and commendable to those who are doing this because they believe it benefits the whole). It is hardly an argument based on principle in most cases, or the good of the profession as a whole. It is a selfish push, that ends the day one retires. Without pilots sticking together in the past, and giving from time to time for the good of the whole, this job would probably not be worth doing. The pilots who have enjoyed the good old days of not being harassed by TSA, of good contracts, and of planes filled with people that appreciated a ride and wore more than a wife beater, had their day. Too bad about the pensions, I am quite sure that the next generation of pilots will have their challenges as well, like competing against airlines from lesser developed parts of the world flying old airplanes for dirt cheap from point to point within the United States. Who is going to make up for my lost income? I certainly hope that our generation will realize that this job has always been a roller coaster and not sacrifice our young to make up for their bad fortune, or the fact that their career ended on the down swing. Just a thought.
This is the best post yet on the subject.

Couple of questions:

Is this the figures for age 60?

Why don't you run the numbers at 63, 64, 65 and include SS, Medicare, supplimental medical coverage costs, and drawdown of your retirement.

At 41, I can't take full SS bennies until 67, at 62 I only get 70% bennies.

Medicare won't kick in until I'm 65.

Last I checked, cobra or other independent self-paid health coverage costs $800+ per month out my pocket.

These numbers are a comparison between what I would have if age 60 stayed in place and I retire at 60 and what I would have at 60 with the age 65 rule. Understand I also didn't compound the interest of the salary difference which comes out to about $140K assuming 17 years compounded interest and a 28% tax from uncle sam. Also understand that these numbers are very conversative, when new contracts are agreed apon the difference will increase, making it worse for junior guys and better for senior guys. Any amount of time worked beyond 76 hours also works in favour of the senior guys.

Last edited:
That's all true enough. What I know is that when the age retirement age gets bumped up, unions, companies and pilots will all make adjustments based on their own best interests and not because of some altruistic principle.

RIGHT ON! Because 65 is sooo much less an "altruistic principal" than 60!

Please also see thread entitled "CAL ALPA supports age 60 change" or something like that

Latest resources

Back