Financial Reasons To Be Against Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ToThePain

I’ve grown tired of reading all the reason why “junior guys” should want to work till 65. We will make more money and have more saved up for retirement. I decided to run the numbers myself. This is based off CAL current contract, which is a concessionary contract and will get better which will further skew the numbers against the junior guys.
These calculations are based off:
1. 2008 contract rates:
2. Figuring 20% 401k (includes companies 12% defined contribution)
3. 76 hours guaranteed (also a low number but that’s our reserve B number) any increase the difference between delay and no delay.
4. 6% compounded interest over the career to the age of 60.
5. All these numbers are base on a 3 year delay in upgrade. (Just a guess, no one really knows the exact affect, obviously more than 3 makes it worse on the junior guys, less makes it better)

No delay-
Total salary earned $3,096,968
Total 401k savings $1,257,321
Total $4,354,289

With delay
Total salary earned $2,821,468
Total 401k savings $1,182,318
Total $4,003,786

Total difference $350, 503. This means that I would have to work an additional 2 ½ years to break even with the loss of income putting me at 62 ½ years of age, essentially working for no pay given that I would have had that with no delays. That leaves me 2 ½ years to “make more money” These numbers are all conservative, you can see that with a better contract the differences in total income would increase. This also does not include the quality of life issues especially with PBS. There are also several recent studies that show the longer you work the average person has a shorter life span. I have listed a current report ALPA has. Here is the link to it, very interesting: http://www.mytruebrain.com/Creativity%20&%20Longevity.pdf
I don’t plan on working past age 60. I am planning on the age change to happen and am increasing my retirement savings to 24% a year (including CAL contributions) to offset this loss in wages. I shouldn’t have to.

Last edited:
You forgot to add the compounding on the difference in capt pay and fo pay for the time between when you would make cappy and 60. It could EASILY double your number.

Gup

How funny that the people who want Age 60 to change cite their loss of pensions and associated economic hardship as reasons they need to change the rule. They need to work the extra years to make up for lost money. It looks like the junior crowd is going to lose MORE than the pilots that lost pensions and will have to work longer to make up for it. It will be a LOT more when you consider what GuppyWN is saying. If at your compay pays $70k/yr difference between what you are getting as an FO and what your CA pay would be, that's up to $350,000 difference. Doubtle that because of compound intrest over 20-25 years and that's another $700,000 in the hole. Guess I will be working to 65 to make up for my ecomonic loss, just like the senior crowd.

Talk about passing the buck....

I’ve grown tired of reading all the reason why “junior guys” should want to work till 65.
And more than a few of us are tired of an antiquated safety rule being misused to artificially manipulate the financial aspects of the job. Just negotiate whatever retirement age your union wants with to have with your company. If pilots at your company want to quit at 60 the go for it.

And more than a few of us are tired of an antiquated safety rule being misused to artificially manipulate the financial aspects of the job. Just negotiate whatever retirement age your union wants with to have with your company. If pilots at your company want to quit at 60 the go for it.

No labor contract would stand up in court if it forced pilots to retire at an age earlier than the federal government allows for. This has nothing to do with age discrimination and everything to do with money on both sides. If it was an age discrimination issue then most if not all of the guys that are lobbying for the change are hypocrites. Did they march on D.C with their disgust for this "age discrimination" years ago when they were FO's? Did they refuse early upgrades on principle to show their disdain for what they deem to be an unfair law? Did they actively pursue change within ALPA or their respective union? The answer in most cases is not just no but heck no. They are looking out for their best interest and the interest of their families. While I understand this it should not be a reason to change a rule that the overwhelming pilot base is against. If you look at the history of most of the pilot contracts they are usually in favor of the older pilots because it is known that they would have to leave at the of 60.

Last edited:
No labor contract would stand up in court if it forced pilots to retire at an age earlier than the federal government allows for. This has nothing to do with age discrimination and everything to do with money on both sides. If it was an age discrimination issue then most if not all of the guys that are lobbying for the change are hypocrites. Did they march on D.C with their disgust for this "age discrimination" years ago when they were FO's? Did they refuse early upgrades on principle to show their disdain for what they deem to be an unfair law? Did they actively pursue change within ALPA or their respective union? The answer in most cases is not just no but heck no. They are looking out for their best interest and the interest of their families. While I understand this it should not be a reason to change a rule that the overwhelming pilot base is against. If you look at the history of most of the pilot contracts they are usually in favor of the older pilots because it is known that they would have to leave at the of 60.
That's all true enough. What I know is that when the age retirement age gets bumped up, unions, companies and pilots will all make adjustments based on their own best interests and not because of some altruistic principle.

How funny that the people who want Age 60 to change cite their loss of pensions and associated economic hardship as reasons they need to change the rule. They need to work the extra years to make up for lost money. It looks like the junior crowd is going to lose MORE than the pilots that lost pensions and will have to work longer to make up for it. It will be a LOT more when you consider what GuppyWN is saying. If at your compay pays $70k/yr difference between what you are getting as an FO and what your CA pay would be, that's up to $350,000 difference. Doubtle that because of compound intrest over 20-25 years and that's another $700,000 in the hole. Guess I will be working to 65 to make up for my ecomonic loss, just like the senior crowd.

Talk about passing the buck....

Its just another chance for the Old Guys to throw the Junior Guys under the Bus AGAIN!! Why should the group that established the "B" Scale stay for 5 more years? Dont forget the phenominal move to allow the the "RJ"s to be flown off of a mainline seniority list Because they were TO good to fly an "RJ":rolleyes: :puke:

Latest resources

Back