Finally, the Call came....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skid Mark

Interviewd last week with ACA, got call on Friday morning, and I took the weekend off to enjoy...
absolutely happy to go to ACA...got a DO 328, August 12 start...
Would like to know others who were offered the same plane and class date...

To those still waiting, hang in there, when it would finally happens, it would be all worth it, I will post my experience but for those of you who want to hear soon, PM me...

I wish all of you luck! Those who got the letter this week, like one of my dear friends who interviewed with me on the same day, I feel your stress and disappointment, I was turned down by two airlines then hired by ACA...hang in there buds...the day will come, NEVER GIVE UP!

I am more humbled than ever, at the same time, I know it would require much more brain muscle to handle the DO 328...so those who are in ACA on the Jet, please PM me, I need advise!

SpeedBird

Congrats

Very happy for you. Just a quick question. I notice you have 1200 hours. How much multi-engine do you have. I'm just asking for a dude I used to instruct with. He sent his stuff in to ACA with a Letter of Rec. a couple of days ago. He's got about the same total time you do but he's got 60 hours multi. I know ACA is kinda fickle about there minimums. He's got a 4 yr from Embry Riddle and was an intern for Delta in Atlanta. I told him to go ahead and send his stuff in even though he didnt have the published mins. Anyway, just a curiousity question. Just wanted to let him know if he is going to be competitive.

Congrats again, heard the DoorKnob is a pretty cool airplane. Climbs like a homesick angle.

Have fun.

IP

InstuctorPuke,
Thanks for the good wishes!
My time info here is quite old...I have over 355 Mulit and bunch of High Performance time with Turbocharged engines in bigger planes for a 135 operator...my total time is now in access of 1500...
I think even though it should be fine to send in the resume with reference, but why not wait until your student has at least 200 Multi, the way ACA is going, they have incredible amount of resumes' with even PIC Turbine time sitting on their desk...
I truly believe that you have to at least meet their minimums and it's true, just like the website says, the more the Mulit, the TT comes down a bit...
otherwise, if the call for an interview does not come, then it would only make it more frustrating for the applicant and the energy used to combat the stress is better used on trying to find ways to log more TT and Multi time...just my humble opinion....
I hope all of you wanting to work for ACA get a shot at the interview and it would be nice to see you all making your dreams come true.
:)
Skid Mark
Yes, I heard about the Climb Rate for that bird. Can't wait!

Good luck to you! Im in class for the CRJ, but our instructor said the FRJ climbs at something like 11,000 ft/min!!! YEE-HAW

Skid Mark, congrats man. I'm on the other side of the coin still trying to get in somewhere. I'm looking forward to the day that I get the call. Best of luck!!!!!

Pilot 877 & Freightdog,
Thanks you for kind words!
All I can say is just hang in there man. When it will come, it will be sweet...at least you have a 135 job and it is way more desired than anything with the regionals...as I said before, dont' give up, keep your hopes up, and keep updating...it took me long time, but suddenly, I was hired by two airlines, but ACA is my preference...
Good Luck and safe flying!
Skid Mark

Skid Mark,

I spent 5 years at ACA and left as check-airman on the 328. Let me first congratulate you on picking a fine regional to work for. Because of them I was able to achieve my ultimate goal of becoming a major airline pilot.

You are going to be working with a fine group of pilots and flying perhaps one of the most exciting regional aircraft in the sky.

Here is some advice:

-See the BIG PICTURE! New pilots tend to be so detail oriented that they forget that they are first and foremost doing what they already know-flying an airplane.

-Study what they tell you and take heed to these next few words- COOPERATE AND GRADUATE! Especially with the younger pilots, the competitive edge may drown out your ability to see the big picture. Don't give in to the Top Gun ego challenge. On the first day everyone is on the same level regardless of previous experience. Just do your best and keep your positive attitude.

- as far as the actual airplane goes, strap in and hold on! The 328jet is a rocket. At least until you level off and you are restricted to .66 mach. Contrary to a post above, it normally climbs at about 4500-5000 fpm with the ability to do 9000 fpm with no PAX and, well, not at work if you know what I mean.

- Start thinking ahead of everything you do now because the Dork tends to surprise people. Especially on take off! ZOOOOM!

Most importantly HAVE FUN! ACA is a great place to work if you let it be. Good Luck!

Jball

Jball,

Thanks for the nice post! I appreciate your insight and already liked the fact that you have great things to say about ACA and DO328Jet even after you’ve left the company – says a lot about the company and yourself as an employee!

Congratulations on securing a position as a ‘Major’ airline pilot. I hope my start with ACA would lead one day to follow in to your footsteps. For now, I am very excited to have the opportunity to work for a stable (…and expanding regional) and to be flying the Full-Glass cockpit on, what I have been hearing, the best regional jet. For some reason, the high winds (like DOJet and RJ185) have been my favorite, so it’s quite fitting to get a shot at this magnificent bird.

I have been hearing very good reviews and opinions about the DOJet. Like you said, it’s written all over the web to watch the TO and climb rate.

About the fine pilots at ACA, my interview was with the Chief at CVG, all I can say is, I am looking forward to fly with him since he was an absolute fair and professional guy all through the day during the long interview and Simulator sessions. I talked to most people the day I was interviewed and we all had unanimous opinion about Shawn Nicol and Capt. Erik. Definitely, the people we would like to work with.

As for the BIG PICTURE, I am glad you’ve given a different angle and I’d sure keep that in mind. You know, I am sure for the new guy, it’s just so much to learn and make sure you do not ‘screw up’ on the knowledge part…but yes, ‘Flying the Plane’ is what’s it all about.

Shoulder Harness, eh…on the take offs…

Well, Sir, is there a way to get hold of study material before the class date? I have almost a month to go. I have pulled out my ‘Gas Turbine Engines’ book and already completed the first 1/4th part. I wanted to know if ACA would be able to send me the ‘Flight Manual’ or a CD so I can get a ‘Head-Start’ on the ground school…you know…like memorizing the airspeeds and limitations.

Safe Flying!

Skid Mark

What to Do

Skid,

Just my two cents. I would study up on 121 regulations since it appears you have never flown 121. And find someone that can get you a copy of 3585. That way you can explain it to the instructors, right JBall <bg>.

Seriously I found it to be a great pilot group. There are those that debate that the union spends too much time in bed with the company. But you can debate things like that on overnights. Its a fire hose environment like any airline training, just hit the books instead of the pub and you will do fine.

Have a great career.

Humble

Latest resources

Back