Finally some competition on the LAX-LAS route

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Spirit will probably charge women $20 to bring their purses onboard....

Spirit Airlines (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood) announced yesterday (March 8) that starting on May 5, 2011, the ultra low cost carrier will begin five daily nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Spirit currently serves both markets.

To celebrate the launch of the new route, Spirit offered $9 introductory fares (each way based on a round trip purchase) available for travel on Tuesdays and Wednesdays between May 10 and June 15, 2011.

$9?!?!?! Wow! With $4/gal gas it would probably cost $100 to drive that round trip.

Not sure how you can make a profit at 9 bucks, but I'm assuming the number of seats available at that price are few.

"Finally" some competition? There are 33 flights a day on five airlines going from LAX to LAS.

Not sure how you can make a profit at 9 bucks...

They can't. They make up for some of it by having a seat pitch that's 4-5 inches narrower than Southwest's, and then nickel-and-dime you to death to actually make their money. Want to choose your seat? That's $10. Want to put something in the overhead? Another $30. Oh, you didn't realize we charged for overhead space? Now it's $45 at the gate. Some water? $3. And so on.

My neighbor flew Spirit Airlines and he said that is the worst airline he has ever flown. He can assure you if you haven't flown with them then don't waste the 9 dollars it is far too much. You still have to pay 36 dollars for your 1st bag and Carry-ons are 20 dollars each, and a carry-on is like anything bigger than a laptop, also you has to pay for drinks and preferential seats. Few mistake he did cost almost 500 dollars in bag fees. The customer service agents is very poor and will do everything in their power to separate you from your cash and you will never get a refund only a voucher for the balance when you fly again.

Do they charge jumpseaters!!?????

The only reason we don't is because so many of our folks commute...and from cities we don't serve...it would shut us down.

In fact we don't even charge jumpseaters for bags, carry on or checked. If they do charge you let me know, if you have the receipt we'll get your money back. A gate agent charged my wife for a checked bag (against written policy for non-revs and buddy passes), she paid the $25 but saved the receipt, I sent in an expense report--I got 5 or 6 calls from various people asking me why she was charged for a check bag, why she paid it, who charged he for it, and was told that I probably can't get my money back because no one knew what cost center to pull the reimbursement from...I told each person that was just fine, you can give me my $25, back or I can file a grievance and get 4 hours of pay or $350 back in 6 months. I did get my $25 back.

The only reason we don't is because so many of our folks commute...and from cities we don't serve...it would shut us down.

In fact we don't even charge jumpseaters for bags, carry on or checked. If they do charge you let me know, if you have the receipt we'll get your money back. A gate agent charged my wife for a checked bag (against written policy for non-revs and buddy passes), she paid the $25 but saved the receipt, I sent in an expense report--I got 5 or 6 calls from various people asking me why she was charged for a check bag, why she paid it, who charged he for it, and was told that I probably can't get my money back because no one knew what cost center to pull the reimbursement from...I told each person that was just fine, you can give me my $25, back or I can file a grievance and get 4 hours of pay or $350 back in 6 months. I did get my $25 back.

Nice Job!! :beer:

Latest resources

Back