Finally - Justification to Raise Age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hit it right on the head jetFumes...

I've been around this industry all my life and watched many make the same decisions over and over again.

While it's all nice and fun to live that "wild life" again in your mid- to late- thirties, I for one would rather put up with my wife's crap from time to time in order to have:

a. unrestricted access to my kids
b. if a 2nd home has to be had, it's our vacation home (which will be paid off by the time I retire IF I don't divorce and have to live in it)
c. the ability to grow old with someone I know loves me because she married me when I was just living on $40k a year with a 4 year old car note and a mortgage.

That said, I've watched as my dad got screwed over at UAir 28 months before age 60, has to live on 1/4 of what his pension SHOULD have been, thinking he had 28 more months making $14,000 a month to finish paying off the house and car. Now he HAS to get another job.

Did he plan poorly? Not all marriages work out but the 2nd one he should have known better. No one knew what UAir was going to do to the pensions and that the goverenment wouldn't step in FULLY. He can still fly the aircraft, and I'm happy to stay at a regional another 3-5 years to give him the time he needs to get things the way they WOULD have been based on his ORIGINAL plan because, quite frankly, I would appreciate the same consideration.

The people screaming, "But I won't be able to get a job at a major for another 3 to 5 YEARS!!!" are the "ME-ME-ME" crybabies who will be crying the OTHER way when they're on the other end of the equation.

I'd agree with them if 9/11, BR cuts up to 50% of salaries, and pension terminations hadn't happen, but they did, so just suck it up; you'll get your turn.

Last edited:
I hope you didn't think that I am crying about a major or am a "ME" type of person. I had the job, and I don't blame 9/11 on not having it anymore. I truly believe that most airline management is sooooo screwed up that the bankruptcies would still be happening today withpout the terrorist attacks.

My point was that if I am a pilot or a ditch digger, I really should have things wrapped up for retirement by the time I get to 60. I surely am not going to buy a house when I am 50 that cost so much that I am strapped for 10 years making mortgage payments (relying on 200k a year in an industry like ours).

Your story has a personal touch to it with your father. I imagine I would sacrifice a few years (more) if my dad where in that position. The one thing I have found out in this industry is that you have to look out for #1......your family. I don't have a whole lot of simpathy for the guys who put in 30 years at a legacy carrier and are now crying foul regarding the age 60 rule. They certainly benefitted in seniority when those above them had to hang their hats at 60.

Latest resources

Back