Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cookmg

Hello!

How would I go about filing an IFR flight plan for local approach work? Specifically, if the weather will be IMC, I must have a flight plan AND a clearence, so how do you file for multiple approaches?

Can you do one flight plan with the routing to be RV XYZ RV ABC RV XYZ? Or, must you file individual flight plans for each "leg".

Basically, is it possible to file an IFR flight plan with multiple approaches at different airports?

I had trouble doing this, but I was using tower-enroute control routings? Does flight service not accept multiple approaches with tower-enroutes?

Thanks. Hope that was clear.

first, I'd use one airport.

When I wanted to do multiple approaches, I called the tower supervisor to find out what would be easiest for them. He had me use a fix which is used for a missed on one of our approaches. The filed route was "direct (name of fix) direct", with the destination the same airport where I was taking off from. Then, departure would vector me for as many approaches as I could afford :D.

Your tower has dealt with this before, so why not ask what they'd like? They love it when you keep them in the loop.

If ya want to begin and end at the same airport file just that. Under route file to an NDB or VOR etc. etc.. for one of the airports you are going to. Under remarks, IFR Training; Multipile Approaches. When ATC gets this theyll know what you are doing. They will probably say "state intentions".

So, if you are doing a x-c and would like to shoot an approach at some airport along the way, you should file to your final destination and include in the routing an appropriate fix for the approach you would like to shoot along the route? Then you would put in the remarks section that you would like to do an ILS or VOR etc. approach at xyz airport?

A little different for X/C. I normally just file 2 Flight plans. One to the first place, then on to the ultimate destination. You can certainly do it with just one flight plan, i just dont want to have to explain everything to ATC and work through their puzzled responses. When its a local one, refer to my previous post.

There is really no set way to do it, it just whatever works in your area and how accomedating ATC is.

I have used this as well

I will file to airport number 1 and do the approaches there, then ask the controller if he can change my clearance limit back to the destination and clear me back. This generally works if there are no more than two or three controlling agencies along the flight path. Otherwise it is multiple flight plans.

Wanabe

Local filing

One unofficial trick I learned was to telephone the TRACON directly and file with them; either tell them you want to shoot approaches or submit a full flight plan. Just tell them what you want to do; nine times out of ten you'll get extremely courteous cooperation. You'll get back a departure frequency and code. Don't forget to get a clearance limit, etc., in case of lost comm.

Otherwise, you have to file two flight plans; one to the airport in question and one back home. Before your miss for the last approach you put your clearance on request for going home and pick up your clearance during the miss. Maybe you can get it before the approach while you're being vectored around.

filing IFR

When I trained and taught I used a radial/DME off my home airport VOR with a short ETE (loss of com, less holding) for local airport approaches. Most Approach/Departure computers won't accept departure airport the same as the arrival airport.

Approaches at a different airport within approx. 30 miles: I have experience just filing to the destination with my local RAPCON, without filing back. They usually expect this in my type of training environment.

Other approaches beyond the terminal area will require filing to the airport and back to your home airport.

One more thing, I always had students put remarks such as "practicing NDB holding and approaches at _ _ _), it's helpful if the controlling agency knows of your intentions, but they will most likely ask again when airborne.

That's my experience with the filing and what worked in my training area (which was saturated).

Have fun.

QUOTE]Most Approach/Departure computers won't accept departure airport the same as the arrival airport[/QUOTE]

This is certainly not the case in most areas. Even if filing via duats it will still accept the clearance.

I trained in the MSP area where there are a lot of satelite airports. I did my training out of an airport that didn't have any approaches (a sweet little grass strip SYN). I used to file one flight plan as:

SYN-21D-STP-ANE-MIC-FCM-SYN

In the remarks section I'd put "Practice Approaches" or "Instrument Training", something like that...I'd usually leave it up to the briefer, they can always think of something creative.

If you get a chance, go to an airport and do a PAR approach! They're lots of fun too!

Fly Safe!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back