Fighter bomber cuts cable

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jeff0500

About 8 years ago there was an incident in the news on a fighter bomber flying low in the Pyrennese or Alps. The news reports wrote that the tail severed the cable (wire rope). Can this be true?

On a sorta of related note:

Did anyone ever catch the line on the Sopranos episode about this incident?

It was the one where Tony, Pauly and Chris go to Italy. The old Italian guy on the street says to Pauly, in italian, - "Nato, you guys cut our ski lift".

Thanks for the links. Read them. If the aircraft hit the ropes as described, with enough force to derope the rope off the towers or cut the rope. It's hard to think the plane can continue flying?

The Pilot was found not guilty of the charges. Nav was kicked out of the USMC for destroying evidence.

I talked to an AME about that incident. Can any military pilots elaborate on the fucntion of "go-pills?"

The pilot spent time in jail for destruction of evidence. The plane kept flying because Grumman built them like tanks. Those guys didn't know they had hit a cable until after they landed and the corps had turned over to the italian police. They thought they'd had a midair with a helicopter.

millhouse21 said:
The pilot spent time in jail for destruction of evidence. The plane kept flying because Grumman built them like tanks. Those guys didn't know they had hit a cable until after they landed and the corps had turned over to the italian police. They thought they'd had a midair with a helicopter.
I was working aerial lifts at a skii hill when the news broke. It attracted conversation in the maintaince shop. The talking about it (for lack of a better phrase) leaned towards a strike on the rope that began a symathetic harmony. Like troops in step on a bridge. Knowing Grumman for its strength in frames my postulation seems right. The ropes had slack at the towers and de-roped. The deropment guards didn't catch the lateral movement of the rope in this instance. I think.

millhouse21 said:
I was working aerial lifts at a skii hill when the news broke. It attracted conversation in the maintaince shop. The talking about it (for lack of a better phrase) leaned towards a strike on the rope that began a symathetic harmony. Like troops in step on a bridge. Knowing Grumman for its strength in frames my postulation seems right. The ropes had slack at the towers and de-roped. The deropment guards didn't catch the lateral movement of the rope in this instance. I think.

Latest resources

Back