• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FFDO Training: Reloader?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's why I like 9mm. It's not the latest and greatest cartridge, but at $100 or so per 1,000 rounds, it's almost impossible to get any cheaper centerfire handgun ammo. I don't even think you can beat that if you load your own on a press with bulk components, unless you want to cast lead bullets on your own. Too much hassle for me!

With buckets of ammo on hand, you can practice, practice, practice and not ruin your bank account.

wolf

$5.00 a box of 50?! I'm going to have to find myself some of that. Thanks for the links. I've seen Wolf ammo at gun shops before, but never those prices- I guess it's a matter of getting it online or at gun shows. Unfortunately I haven't been doing much shooting anyway lately. I've moved back to NJ where I"m originally from and shooting isn't really made easy for us here- communist dictatorships don't support armed citizens. When I lived in Florida I was able to go shooting at a range that was part of our park system- it was outdoors in the clean air and it cost me $2.50 a day, all you can shoot. That's when ammo really was my biggest expense. Now it costs something like $20 in range fees every time I go, ouch.

Milehigh

I was at an indoor range the other day and every person that came in to use the range was asked if they had wolf ammo. They said that they did not allow wolf ammo.

Any idea why they were soo opposed to using wolf ?

Wolf is cheap Russian junk. Even if a weapon cycles it without malfunction, it will get dirtier faster, and the lacquer may rub off in the hot breech and really muck things up. Most ranges recycle, so if they don't allow Wolf, it's because they don't want steel casings mixed in with the brass. It's the same for Blazer ammo- aluminum casings.

FN FAL said:
My wife assists me in loading a gym bag full of 20, 25, 32 and 40 round UZI magazines and we go through 1,000 rounds in a one and half to two hour shooting session.
Geeze! Is accuracy a player here, or is the primary objective just to get lead downrange? :)
I fired an Uzi carbine once. I'm sure it's a dandy CQB gun, but on the range against the paper, but there are a number of other guns I'd rather put 1000 rounds through.
Rock 'n' Roll is fun once in awhile, though!

milehigh6080 said:
$5.00 a box of 50?! I'm going to have to find myself some of that. Thanks for the links. I've seen Wolf ammo at gun shops before, but never those prices- I guess it's a matter of getting it online or at gun shows. Unfortunately I haven't been doing much shooting anyway lately. I've moved back to NJ where I"m originally from and shooting isn't really made easy for us here- communist dictatorships don't support armed citizens. When I lived in Florida I was able to go shooting at a range that was part of our park system- it was outdoors in the clean air and it cost me $2.50 a day, all you can shoot. That's when ammo really was my biggest expense. Now it costs something like $20 in range fees every time I go, ouch.

Milehigh
(I know we're off the subject of FFDO program, but it's probably not too cool to talk about that anyway...)

That's a sad story milehigh! It's becoming all too common as well. I think they are going to legislate shooting ranges out of existance or make it harder for them to exist in general.

It's getting to the point where even guys that want to shoot trap are being squeezed out by land owners.

I have a lot of people ask me why do I NEED silencers (suppressors), and after I explain that it's a neat thing to be able to own, that it increases safety and protects hearing at the range, the next thing I tell them is how airports are being closed because the neighbors don't like the noise. There is a correlation.

Fortunately there is town within a resonable drive of a city I visit often to see family and friends that has it's own public shooting range as a park. It only asks for donations in a can when visit. They have a two hundred yard range at least 8 lanes wide, a five hundred yard range 8 lanes wide, a pistol range with 25 and 50 yard tables and stands for archers to practice with their bows. I think it's the coolest place to visit. I like it so much I put a tarp down when I shoot so I can easily pick up after myself when I leave. If a local asks for any of the reloadable brass, I usually donate to the cause. I have so much set aside it doesn't pay to save the empties anymore and keeping the locals friendly is worth more than a couple of bucks of one shot brass.

Good luck finding a place to shoot that's resonable, I think a club is your best bet.

shooting ranges

It really is a shame that it's getting harder and harder for shooting ranges to be in business. Especially the outdoor ranges which I really prefer over shooting indoors and breathing lead dust and gun powder. I'm looking into clubs around here, but even they are a little more expensive than I would expect. I guess I was just spoiled by living in a state that actually believes in the Bill of Rights. It's so hard to find reasonably priced ranges that I might just have to start practicing on liberals instead. Just kidding. . . .sorta.

Milehigh

EagleRJ said:
Wolf is cheap Russian junk. Even if a weapon cycles it without malfunction, it will get dirtier faster, and the lacquer may rub off in the hot breech and really muck things up. Most ranges recycle, so if they don't allow Wolf, it's because they don't want steel casings mixed in with the brass. It's the same for Blazer ammo- aluminum casings.
Yea it's cheap. I don't know how the laquer affects pistols, but I do know it builds up on my bolt. Subguns get dirty quick anyway, but I don't plan on cleaning mine till they jam. Then you'll get a road report.

One thing I did notice and so did the wife, was a variance in the cyclic rate (by ear) while we were shooting wolf one time. Could have been the shellac, could have been a crapy case lot in the quality control department, who knows.

Wolf is now using a polymer to protect its cartridges, so I would like to see how that works out. I don't go to ranges where they won't let me keep my brass and I police up after I am done. As far as Blazer goes, I can't use it in the subgun because there is a chance of case rupture on account that it's an open bolt gun. Also the wolf ammo seems to get my suppressor hotter than heck and faster than I am used to seeing with cleaner ammo.

That white box stuff that milehigh said he gets from walmart is supposedly known to erode the baffles out of suppressors over time. Haven't heard the same about wolf.

If you look at some of those 9MM prices that move up the scale to the 120 to 140 per thousand, you are getting some pretty good quality and still only paying 6 to 7 dollars a box for 50. Order some and split it with friends.
EagleRJ said:
Geeze! Is accuracy a player here, or is the primary objective just to get lead downrange? :)
I fired an Uzi carbine once. I'm sure it's a dandy CQB gun, but on the range against the paper, but there are a number of other guns I'd rather put 1000 rounds through.
Rock 'n' Roll is fun once in awhile, though!
Actually, the full sized Uzi machine gun in 9mm is more accurate than you might think. I also have a semi-auto Uzi Carbine in 9mm that I would love to put one of those cheap BSA red dot scopes on and do some coyote hunting on my friends property. Not for the magazine capacity, but for the novelty of proving the sporting use.

In an 18' carbine, I'm sure the right 9MM cartridge is excellent to 100 yards and adequate to 200 yards. You do have to rely more on placing your shot and not on stopping power with pistol caliber, semi-auto carbine. Plus, you don't have as much risk of the round carrying safely beyond where you hunt, like you do with rifle calibers like a .308, 30-30, or .30-'06.

Back when I used to work at a sporting goods store, one of my customers bagged a white tail in Wisconsin using a 9MM Uzi semi-auto carbine. He said one shot to the neck and it dropped like a sack of potatoes. Semi-auto, pump action, or lever action, pistol caliber centerfire cartrige carbines are lawful for various types of game hunting in Wisconsin.

milehigh6080 said:
It really is a shame that it's getting harder and harder for shooting ranges to be in business...It's so hard to find reasonably priced ranges that I might just have to start practicing on liberals instead. Just kidding. . . .sorta.

Milehigh
Hahaha, I get it. Practice on converting them! To enjoy shooting as a sport and hobby that is! :)

Jetsetter said:
I was at an indoor range the other day and every person that came in to use the range was asked if they had wolf ammo. They said that they did not allow wolf ammo.

Any idea why they were soo opposed to using wolf ?
Yea, they didn't want to have to pick through the rounds on the floor to sort out the unreloadable steel cases that wolf is using. They probably recycle, reload or sell the brass to reloaders and don't want to go through the hassle of sorting through the empties.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back