• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FEX written

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Someone please remind me how long a FEX is current. I forgot....

(d) An applicant for a flight engineer certificate or rating must have passed the written tests required by paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which the flight is taken. However, this limitation does not apply to an applicant for a flight engineer certificate or rating if—

(1) The applicant—

(i) Within the period ending 24 calendar months after the month in which the applicant passed the written test, is employed as a flight crewmember or mechanic by a U.S. air carrier or commercial operator operating either under part 121 or as a commuter air carrier under part 135 (as defined in part 298 of this title) and is employed by such a certificate holder at the time of the flight test;

(ii) If employed as a flight crewmember, has completed initial training, and, if appropriate, transition or upgrade training; and

(iii) Meets the recurrent training requirements of the applicable part or, for mechanics, meets the recency of experience requirements of part 65; or

(2) Within the period ending 24 calendar months after the month in which the applicant passed the written test, the applicant participated in a flight engineer or maintenance training program of a U.S. scheduled military air transportation service and is currently participating in that program.

(e) An air carrier or commercial operator with an approved training program under part 121 of this chapter may, when authorized by the Administrator, provide as part of that program a written test that it may administer to satisfy the test required for an additional rating under paragraph (b) of this section.

Sweet! I thought it was something like that. Didn't want to go through all that again (painfull). Thanks!

the FAR requirement is different from what Fedex is requiring. Fedex wants the written current within 2 years.

BTW: Per the FedEx site:

"Q: Must I have successfully completed my Flight Engineer written exam in order to work for FedEx?
A: If you do not already posses a Flight Engineer Turbojet certificate, you must have a valid and current Flight Engineer written exam prior to starting training as a FedEx crewmember. You may have either the combined exam (FEX) or the separate Basic Turbojet exam (FEB FEJ).
Q: I took the Flight Engineer written exam over two years ago and it has now expired. What must I do before starting work at FedEx?
A: You must have current FE at time of interview and at time of class."

Now, assuming FedEx uses the same defintion of "current" and "valid" (they don't supply a different one), I am in possesion of a current and valid FE written since I passed it 7yrs ago and have been continually employed as either a 135 or 121 pilot...

At least that's the way I HOPE they see it...

ASA still advertises an FE written test book at $29.95. Their website is asa2fly.com. Go to the products page.

For those interested in applying at FedEX:

This has been beaten to death on other forums.

FedEX does not care where you have been working the previous years. You MUST have taken the FEX written within two years of starting your first day of class.

The 121/135 thing doesn't work here. (Unfortunately)

Now, assuming FedEx uses the same defintion of "current" and "valid" (they don't supply a different one), I am in possesion of a current and valid FE written since I passed it 7yrs ago and have been continually employed as either a 135 or 121 pilot...

At least that's the way I HOPE they see it...

They do not see it that way, unfortunately. You need to have a current (i.e. w/in 2 years) FE written. period. dot. No exceptions for continuous employment or anything else.
Sorry for the bad news.

two threads from APC with boocoo posts on the subject:
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/56309-fdx-hiring-process-announced.html
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/56177-fdx-app-website-delayed-opening-24jan-0601z-5.html

or you can go directly to the hiring website and look at the FAQs:
https://fedex.pilotcredentials.com/index.php?a=questions

Bottom line, you don't want to submit an app that says you have a current FEw if that's not the case.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back