Feul injection and electronic ignition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jeff0500

Ive been completely out of flying last 8 years. Working. Getting back in. Are the piston engines equipped with fuel injection and electronic ignition? Ist it about time to leave the carbs and magnetos in a museum?

There isn't much incentive financially, to develop anything new due to the small market, and the cost of certification.

If it works, leave it alone. I've made a bunch of dough on Bendix and Slick mag's.

I rember reading about someone mounting a Porche engine in a Mooney. Guess it didnt catch on. But still Im thinking, no more carb-ice to worry about, better fuel economy, no mixture to adjust, computer controlled efficiency, all those sensors standing guard to let the pilot know if somethings going wrong, spark plugs that last till overhaul. The money I save on engine maintainence Ill spend on reducing drag. So what works in a auto may not work in a plane but I would think It would. Ill call Lycoming and ask if they have anything going. Thanks

Just out of curiosity, why in the name of all that is holy would you want to sink that kind of money into a 152! That is what you are refering to, isnt it?? If you've got that kind of money to play with, why not just go buy something that's already injected, slick, and fast!!

agpilot34 said:
Just out of curiosity, why in the name of all that is holy would you want to sink that kind of money into a 152! That is what you are refering to, isnt it?? If you've got that kind of money to play with, why not just go buy something that's already injected, slick, and fast!!
Yeah I was referrring to a 152 but just to start with the thinking. The slick and fast planes like a Mooney or even a 172 are a lot heavier to push around on the ground, Id bust my nuts trying to get onr of them things off the tie-down on to the ramp when the FBO is closed. Get the wheels in one of those pockets at a tie down and add some ice around them and In not going to try to drive it out. With a light plane like the 152 I can clear the wheels a little and grab the prop and rock it out. Also I wont make a fool out of myself with the girlfriend along. Naw I dont have bags of money so that is a consideration too.

Souping up a 150?

Jeff0500 said:
Yeah I was referrring to a 152 but just to start with the thinking. The slick and fast planes like a Mooney or even a 172 are a lot heavier to push around on the ground, Id bust my nuts trying to get onr of them things off the tie-down on to the ramp when the FBO is closed. Get the wheels in one of those pockets at a tie down and add some ice around them and In not going to try to drive it out. With a light plane like the 152 I can clear the wheels a little and grab the prop and rock it out. Also I wont make a fool out of myself with the girlfriend along. Naw I dont have bags of money so that is a consideration too.
Save your back, and move your airplane around with this. Work smarter, not harder.

http://www.powertow.com/products.html

Don't ask me where to stow it on the field, be creative.

You're on the right track with a Mooney, how about the C model? Carbureted simplicity, Lycoming O-360 reliability. Lots of speed mods available for the inclined. Fill the 150 and the M20C each up with fuel, and the C is about 650 pounds heavier than a 150 before you jump in. Been a while since I pimped my skills in a 150, but why go 90 knots on 7-8 gph when you can go 145 knots on 9-10 gph? More room, 4 seats, carry more stuff, bring along your girlfriend, heck, bring two.

http://www.mooneypilots.com/ Click sample articles, Flight Test reports. Great info there to read.

Insurance and maintenance will be more on a retract. But you get to build nice biceps with the manual gear.

It will be more expensive to purchase, since you can pick up an Flight School-whore C150 for $20k, and the M20C will set you back $45-$55k, but I say hey, go for it.

AOPA has a great tool to estimate your expenses. http://www.aopa.org/members
Click on Valuation Services --> Operational Cost Calculator

I believe you will not find better performance from 180 HP with very frugal maintenance costs elsewhere in the used GA market. Let's face it, you said you wanted speed, I don't think the 150 is the tree up which you should bark.

If you desire bombing around the patch or going 50 miles for the $100 hamburger, then maybe a 150 is practical. But if you want a econo-fast GA airplane that you can pack up the g/f, some baggage, and go to fly-ins, visit family, see Oshkosh, etc, look at the Mooney.

spooling

Thanks for the reply spooling. Im VFR and dont have any plans for IFR or high performance ratings. Just a high wing plane to get me and the girlfriend over the car jams.

I remember reading about someone mounting a Porche engine in a Mooney.

Yeah, I saw that aircraft and read about it. It was actually owned by Porche, and the guy flying it was an engineer at Boeing. I believe he had it on some sort of lease arrangement.

My boss at the time maybe didn't know the circumstances, but he laughed at the guy for an $80000 modification, with 2 dollar door locks.

I had the oppertunity to visit the Deustches Aviation Museum in Germany back in 99, and one of the interesting things they had there was a Grumman Tiger (I think that was the a/c) with a Porsche built Lycoming O-320. It was very interesting to say the least to see Porsche stamped on the valve covers and the data plate, but to still be Lycoming Blue.

Only the Lycomings going to Cessna were painted blue, all others were painted gray. The only blue on the engines going to other than Cessna customers was on the cylinder base and indicated that nitrited steel cylinders were installed.

Latest resources

Back