• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ferrying a C-337 to Thailand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The route would depend on what kind of tanks you are fitting to the aircraft. I would suggest doing the trip eastbound, more miles, but cheaper fuel and much less water and hassle involved.
If you have an 8-10 hour range I would suggest going St. Johns- Azores-Palma-Crete-Luxor-Oman-Mumbai-Calcutta-Bangkok. An overflight permit is required for Luxor and onward, figure 2-3 business days for an application for a Saudi overflight permit, and 6-7 working days for India.

If this is your first time on a trip like this, hire an experienced ferry pilot to go with you

Good luck, it is a fun trip.

Last edited:
Pistlpetet said:
That is a good idea about joining up with someone else for the trip over. I would probably opt for not tanking up the aircraft (Probably Take a Friend Along).

You tell me your experience in Thailand and I'll tell you my experience in
the 337 and international, friend. I need a contact in the region.

Pistlpetet said:
Thanks, but not looking for comments on the 337. Is it that hard to ask a professional question, and get a professional answer here?

Sorry if you feel I'm being derrogatory towards the aircraft. Not the case. After several hundred hours in pressurized, and non pressurized versions, I'm quite fond of them.

I can't help you with ferrying one across the world, but I can relate stories of 10 hour one stop cross country flights with the 337.

Daveman said:
You tell me your experience in Thailand and I'll tell you my experience in
the 337 and international, friend. I need a contact in the region.

I have a lot of experiences in Thailand. It all depends what you are looking for :) PM Me

Everyone else. Thanks for the suggestions. This is still in the future ops planning stage, as I am starting to plan well in advance.

Took a PN-68 (Partenavia) from OAK to HNL years ago, it was over 14 hours.

The guy that I went with owns a ferrying business (SWA Captain, some of you may know him). He had in the past took C-182s and stuff all the way to BKK.

Not sure what is the next stop after HNL but I believe they go the same way as Continental Airlines fly their "island hopper" route. One of the stop will involve Guam, then Manilia.

I personally would NOT recommend anyone flying to Asia by way of the NOPAC with landing in Shemya or Petropavlok like someone else suggested. Conditions are just too harsh up there and you don't want to deal with crossing over Russian airspace and fees.

I don't think there is any fees to cross over the mid-pacific, another plus is you're talking to Oakland Oceanic the whole time, until around Manila I guess.

Good luck.

(o) (o) said:
Took a PN-68 (Partenavia) from OAK to HNL years ago, it was over 14 hours.

The guy that I went with owns a ferrying business (SWA Captain, some of you may know him). He had in the past took C-182s and stuff all the way to BKK.

Not sure what is the next stop after HNL but I believe they go the same way as Continental Airlines fly their "island hopper" route. One of the stop will involve Guam, then Manilia.

I personally would NOT recommend anyone flying to Asia by way of the NOPAC with landing in Shemya or Petropavlok like someone else suggested. Conditions are just too harsh up there and you don't want to deal with crossing over Russian airspace and fees.

I don't think there is any fees to cross over the mid-pacific, another plus is you're talking to Oakland Oceanic the whole time, until around Manila I guess.

Good luck.

Certainly would agree with regards to the No Pac routes. Not any place for a small aircraft. Scenic yes, smart no. To much weather and other factors to make this an option.

Hi Spooky,

I have been flying the NOPAC for about 3 years now on regular basis and I have not seen a thing except clouds down there!!

Is it really scenic?? (serious question)

Thanks

Pistl:

I have ferried both directions numerous times. I make the following suggestions:

1. Find someone to ferry with you who has experience with the route (or most of it). It may cost you some money but worth it in the end.
2. Use a well establish handling company to assist with the notifications and to assist with any unusual occurrances. If you use ferry tanks you will also (generally) need overflight permits for every country whose airspace you pass (ie: Denmark for Greenland, the Faroe Islands, etc.). I strongly recommend Universal Weather. They have never let me down.
3. Have fun.

The people that you will meet in the arctic and remote islands are some of the friendlist and most helpful people you will meet anywhere. It is a great experience.

Bob

I am surprised not to find NW Pilot posting on this thread. In fact I was looking for it to enjoy some flame baiting.

Anyways, the trip sounds like one heck of an adventure. Keep us posted on when you do it and post the tales that may come from it. Who knows, it may turn out like the "Big Chill" thread.

Latest resources

Back