Ferry Aircraft to Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mason

Where is a resource for reading up and getting info for ferrying an aircraft (Commander 690A) from the U.S. to Hawaii and back?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
ferrying an aircraft (Commander 690A) from the U.S. to Hawaii and back?

Any ideas?

1 idea, that is a one way trip. Otherwise, it's not even ferrying, is it?

Now I know that all of the discount carriers to Hawaii have shut down, but taking an airline is still cheaper and safer. Why would you want to fly a commander there and back?

I'm pretty much done with this site. There really is no useful information to be had by posting here. See above posts.

The original question was where can I get information about flying an aircraft to Hawaii. Basically, information on routing, equipment, ferry fuel setup, someone who is a good resource for information to learn about this. Instead I get info such as "take the airlines," it's a one-way trip, "why do you want to do that?" Certainly not looking to have all my questions answered and then launch for Hawaii. Just some info, that's all.

Have fun.

Now take another look at your original question:

Where is a resource for reading up and getting info for ferrying an aircraft (Commander 690A) from the U.S. to Hawaii and back?

Any ideas?

Not only is it horribly vague, but the the little bit of info you provided says you want to make a round trip to Hawaii in a commander.

A better question generally yields a better answer on this site.

Seriously, Mason, you asked about taking a commander on a round trip to Hi. If you had said something about simply taking it there and leaving it there, no one would have said much except, "talk to XXXXX".

I stick to my original post, this is not a round-trip situation, and a round trip is not ferrying.

http://www.skyviewaviation.com/, Don't know if they'll let you fly on their ferry permits. If you want to fly it yourself you probably won't be able to insure the flight although Lloyds of London used to. You realize you're talking about twice removing, shipping and reinstalling the interior, ferry system, obtaining a ferry permit from the FAA, etc. Very hard to get an IFR ferry permit meaning 5000 ft across the water. Good luck.

Thanks...I'll check them out. We're a mapping company and would be removing the interior, installing the additional ferry fuel system, flying to HI, removing the system, installing the interior and mapping equipment, flying the islands for several weeks and then reversing the process and flying back to the states.

Not neccessarily, the company I do most of my flying for has aircraft ferried someplace international, then brought back months later.

Flying on a special airworthiness certificate (Ferry Permit) is different than flying your aircraft to another country for a period of time. In this context, ferry means to install an aux fuel system with a 337 for a one time flight and requires special permission from the FAA and may have restrictions (usually only crew, maybe VFR only, etc.)

Latest resources

Back