Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
typhoonpilot said:
IDpilot:

Years ago there was a series of good articles on ferrying aircraft across the Atlantic in Private Pilot magazine, written by Bill Cox I believe. Don't know if that magazine is still around or if they have a website with links to old articles but it might be worth looking into. AOPA Pilot magazine may have done an article on it as well, but the Private Pilot articles, as I recall, had better information on how to do it yourself.

One tip my dad gave me from his day of flying a B-24 across the Atlantic was that if you have to ditch, try and ditch in front of a ship because it takes too long for them to turn around to come get you. Survival time in water that cold is on the order of 60 seconds.

Good luck,

Typhoonpilot

guess you gotta find a ship first though :D

In my opinion you have little to gain and much to lose. It's not worth it unless you're an adrenaline junkie.

It's a good thing Lindbergh wasn't as big of **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** 75 years ago as some of you are today. I'm just looking for useful information. And to those of you who actually have useful information, thank you.

IDPilot:

I am tending to agree with your sentiment. I almost can't believe the timidity of some of these posts. Keep doing what you are doing, research the necessary information then prepare yourself and your plane properly and it should be a very enjoyable adventure.

Typhooonpilot

IDpilot, check your PM...

a person i know does it twice a year, in his plane. AOPA has a good section on it, and SPORTY'S has DVD or video on it.

Having done the North Atlantic several times in GA aircraft. It really is not a big deal. You want excitement, go work for Southern Cross. YOur first trip is most likely a 172 to Australia. 30 hours from SFO to Honolulu, single pilot/single engine. Now that is sporting.

The biggest things for the North Atlantic is Weather, Weather and the Weather. It changes rapidly. Some of your fule stops have very high weather minimums. You will have to have an HF radio. You can go the ferry kit model, or the ferry pilot's special, which is a Yeaseu HF Ham radio. You will need a GPS, And I would carry a handheld as a backup. A satellite phone is also a good extra to have. Get a trip kit early and study the front tabs of the binder. There is a great deal of excellent information there.

Don't be in a hurry. Wait until conditions are right. I would also plan on leaving my enroute stops early enough so that I will arrive at my destination for the day with lots of day light left.

Other than that enjoy the trip.

My gounrd CFI for multi just showed me a few mpegs and pictures. They flew a C206 from France to somewhere in the USA. 40+ hours. Lots of prep and he had a blast.

North Atlantic Ferry

I have made a couple of these trips, as posted earlier, weather is everything. You must also be very proficient in NDB procedures, these are the only approaches available along your route. HF radio is no longer required, Sat phone is acceptable and a whole lot better. They are now much more affordable to rent for the trip. You will need a Immersion suit, survival gear, life raft, etc. The Canadian CAA used to have a mandatory inspection prior to departing, they looked at the airplane, your flight planning, reserves, equipment, etc. This is no longer mandatory but they do spot checks on occasion. Insurance is the show stopper for most people, I doubt that you will find a company to cover you on a solo crossing for the first time. The stats are 1 in 200 don't make it and a lot of those were experienced, high time pilots. When you get to Greenland the walls of the Ops shack is plastered with crashed airplanes, but most are never found. Your destination in Europe or wherever your final is will determine whether you take the Most Northern, Middle, or Southern route. The Northern route is for those aircraft with the least amount of range. Check your PM, I could rant forever on this. Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back