Ferry Aircraft Across Atlantic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IDpilot

I have to ferry a single engine piston across the atlantic in the near future. Does anyone have any info, or now of a website that has info about this. I'm looking for best route, supplies, etc.

Thanks

Hire a professional!

Seriously, the first time over take someone that's done it a few times and let him show you the ropes.

Very Cold Water

IDPilot,

Back in the mid-80s, I used to intercept lots of single engine ferry flights across the Atlantic when the got near Iceland. Usually because they were off course, not in radio contact, or just a little lost. Most pilots were surprised (especially at night) when 2 F-15s showed up on their wing. Weather and winds can change quickly. Plan ahead & be careful! A few of the ferry flights ended up in the Atlantic.

ferry flight

I don't know exact stastics but I've read the accident reports. An extended ferry mission (in anything other than a transport catagory plane) over open water is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Here's one of many links to ferry accidents:

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_id=20031230X02101&key=1

The report doesn't say it, but he was a very experienced ferry pilot. I don't know if they are still there, but there is an outfit in Camarillo, CA called southern cross. They offer aircraft ferry services (piloting and ferry tank install) worldwide. They are very experienced. Talk to them and you'll get an idea of what to expect. I agree with all the posts here, take an experienced ferry pilot along. The little money and time you get are not equal to an eternity at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Lots of singles are safely ferried across the Atlantic every year. With proper planning and good wx, it isn't dangerous. With GPS, it is real hard to get off track. Depending on where you are taking the airplane though, such as Africa or the M.E. it is often more economical to container it.

pardon my ignorance being a low time pilot, but exactly how do you ferry a single engine plane across the atlantic??

Air vagabond

You ought to read the book "Air Vagabond" it is the true stories of a ferry pilot.
Also check out the site www.Earthrounders.com This is a site about people who fly around the world but you might be able to get some info from someone on the site.

Goodluck and fly safe!

Thanks for the info Navigator72. It's in a Cirrus SR22. There are many singles that cross the Atlantic every year. I understand that it's not the safest type of flying, I wasn't born yesterday. The flight is going to happen, I'm looking for usefull information on the topic not people who have heard stories from people who have heard stories about someone who died crossing the Atlantic. People die every day flying, it doesn't really concearn me, othwise I probably wouldn't be a professional pilot.

IDpilot

IDpilot:

Years ago there was a series of good articles on ferrying aircraft across the Atlantic in Private Pilot magazine, written by Bill Cox I believe. Don't know if that magazine is still around or if they have a website with links to old articles but it might be worth looking into. AOPA Pilot magazine may have done an article on it as well, but the Private Pilot articles, as I recall, had better information on how to do it yourself.

One tip my dad gave me from his day of flying a B-24 across the Atlantic was that if you have to ditch, try and ditch in front of a ship because it takes too long for them to turn around to come get you. Survival time in water that cold is on the order of 60 seconds.

Good luck,

Typhoonpilot

Latest resources

Back