Felony revisited

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Erlanger

O.K. A friend of mine, has been trying to get a 121 job for some time now, and can't seem to land one. He is well qualified but he has this felony record that is almost 10 years old. He has interviewed with several carriers; regionals and majors. He brings it up in the interview and he gets a thanks but no thanks reply even though he has explained the exemplary life he has lived since. He was discharged from the military for forgery and larceny in lieu of a court martial. He probably also has to disclose the fact that he was also in the military. Could he ever get a job or even get an airport badge? He been flying for a 135 operator and has a couple of type ratings. After 10 years will it disappear or atleast not be disclosed to a potential employer? He's getting pretty discouraged and he really is a good guy!

He will not be able to get the SIDA badge. A felony larceny conviction will disqual him.

On the brighter side if he gets a few more Felonies, he can always run for and hold political office.:D

Not much sympathy.

Your bud should have been an honest guy. Failing that, he should have considered the long term consequences of being caught lying and stealing before he chose to do so.

Now he pays the price. I wonder how much he stole and whether it was worth it?

I love irony

Indeed. "Let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone." And you don't need to shout .

No sympathy. The guy screwed up and got caught and there is now the consequence to be paid. He is competing for limited jobs with people who have not been convicted of felonies and is therefore EDIT IN: [at a competitive disadvantage] and is [more likely to be] shown the door.

Welcome to the real world. (edited from the previous "Natural selection")

Last edited:
He is competing for limited jobs with people who have no felony convictions and is therefore not competitive and is shown the door.
What are you talking about? He is not shown the door...he is working in 135. He may be shown the door, because of other factors. Since you don't know any of those factors or all the factors, you are pontificating. And don't tell me you never stole nuthing in your whole life either, just so's I don't have to call you a liar also.

Natural selection...what kind of lingo is that? Airline hiring is natural selection? Dude, quit smoking them peyote buttons...they took back the Northwest Airline pilot that got prison over flying drunk. They hire minorities with dubious skills. Don't tell me about natural selection.

I did not deliberately forge and steal. I would also assume that the chances are good the discharge in leiu of court martial may have been less than honorable. Just a guess. So, here we are at the interview:

"Tell me about your prior military service, Mr. Jones."

"I see."

"And forgery, too, you say."

"So your discharge was...I see. (Glancing at the two-foot tall stack of resumes) Ahem, uh, well we'll uh, beintouchthanksforcomingintoday."

Lyle was rehired, as I recall, through the auspices of the ADA, which considers alcholism a disability and made it actually illegal NOT to rehire him.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do not think he is going to have very much luck at all.. I tend to agree with Troy, does not sound like a very promising situation to be in.

3 5 0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back