• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Felony Conviction???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No offense to anyone on her, but you should just go see a criminal attorney in the state where the conviction took place. That is the only way that you will get the real scoop on what to do. It should not cost that much to have you case evaluated.

About a year or so ago.. Delta and NWA were going "beyond" the 10 year rule and those with convictions were terminated. These were more mechanics and ramp workers and so on.. The unions got involoved , filed a suit against the companies and those terminated employee's were returned to duty.

The point of this story is.. while the TSA is clear and the ruling is 10 years, the companies can go further and do more. You are "technically" able to hold a 121 or 135 security clearance the question is will the companies allow this?

I agree, expungement may be a choice, pardon, or someother thing to either have the charge reduced or classified something other than the 27 TSA no-no's

As for the searches over 10 years.. they exist.. I have a friend who had a problem in 1954, the item was so old and uncoded (traffic violation) that is showed up last year and he was turned down for a gun permit. While it was NOT a felony it was coded as one. Not withstanding this guy was a legal gun owner in several states, but Florida found this violation from Arkansas. Felony's are for "life" that is how it was put to me by his son (an attorney). A bit of money and some time and it was "corrected".

are u my daddy?

If your conviction is ten years or older than the charge will not automatically disqualify you from obtaining a security clearance. However most airlines hire private firms to do background checks beyond the FBI ten year check. The private firms check the following:

NDR= This tells the airline if your lincense has ever been suspended or revolked, but does not disclose why. This is also required under federal law for pilots.

State driving record= different from state to state, most go back 3 to 5 years.

County Criminal records search= They usually go through every county you lived in and obtain your criminal record including felonies and misdomeanors. Most states do not allow felonies and DUIs to be expunged.

Rarely, but on some occasions when enough red lights appear they will go to the county court house and obtain court records for any arrest or conviction on file for you. To do this is very rare because someone must physically go to your county and look at the records in person.

Although felonies are usually banned from expungement some states allow there judges to make exceptions. Another option would be to try to reopen the case. If you are still married to the girl than a good lawyer matbe able to get you off the hook. The only problem with that is the state maybe liable for lost wages, fines, etc...... Some prosecutors and judges will allow the judgement to be reversed as long as you forfit your fines and etc........

Good luck
CB

Does anyone know if a DUI can be expunged? I have a friend who's dui from 14 years ago is haunting him. This thread has inspired me to try to help him out. thanks.

About expungment ...

I've been reading about this on here for three years now, but for the life of me, I've never talked to ANYONE in my state who says it can be done. I've talked to cops, lawyers, and even one former district attorney. Without exception, all them said "No way.". So if you're in NC .... you're SOL.

Something to consider ...

I have two misdemeanors from 1993 and one felony arrest (plead down at trial to one of the aforementioned misdemeanors) and having pulled my state and federal criminal history for a gun permit thru a friend who's a cop ... I know what it will look like when a regional airline pulls it for a background check. I cannot imagine, for the life of me, that an airline HR person will do anything but THROW MY APP AND ALL ASSOCIATED PAPERWORK COMPLETED THUS FAR INTO THE TRASH. It just wouldn't make sense. I picture this guy or gal sitting there with a stack of partially completed app packets and mine is the only one out of the many with this big red flag. Why would the company gamble on me? That wouldn't be logical. Even in 1999 when 500-hour CFIs were getting class dates at COEX I don't imagine I'd get any farther into the process before I'd be chunked out.

So guys ... think about this long and hard before you charge headlong into thousands of dollars of debt. Even a couple of misdemeanors will be Red Flag City when competing against those among us who have spotless records (as most pilot wannabes do). You may wanna rethink your goals. I have always aimed for charter work n a King Air or Citation. I have legitimate chance at this kind of gig. But airline? I doubt it.

Minh

I cannot speak for other airlines...

At my airline.. the procedure is like so...
Our HR does a 5 year employement background check which is required by the FAA.

On the second day of class, they send you to the badging office at MEM and THEY do the 10 criminal background check.
IF you qualify for a badge, you keep the job.
From what little I understand, my company's position is that they are not going to get themselves in a lawsuit on making a "subjective" decision. If the airport authority feels you are a risk then the company had an "out" and the liability is on the airport (good luck fighting them) and not the company.

From speaking with the security member of the union, we have a few people with misdemeanors, some before and after the 9/11 issue.

You can have a record and have a job, albeit it may not be with your airline of choice.

Even if you are successful in getting a record Sealed or Expunged how will it show up on a background check?

Will it come back as "No records found" or "Sealed Case"

Could make a big difference on how you should fill out a that job application.

It would be impossible for me to speculate how each state approaches this. The best way to find out what is on your record is to:

1. Obtain a county criminal record for yourself. The fee is usually 4 dollars and can be obtained at the county courthouse.

2. Obtain your state driving record which can be obtained at several BMV locations within the state for a small fee.

3. Obtain your FBI background check. Go to your county court house and ask to be figure printed for an FBI check. The cost is 30 dollars and the results will take around 30 days.

4. If your lincense has been suspended or revolked obtain your NDR. Go to the National Driving Registries website.

If you do these 4 things you should know what anyone else can find out about you aside from a few people*. If record is sealed or expunged it may not have been cleared from all agencies records. For example you get a Drug abuse charge and your lincense is suspended. Two years later you get it expunged. You check your county criminal record check and you see it has infact been cleared. However there is a good chance the state forgot to mention the expungement to the bureau of motor vehicles. Bam the airline does a driving record report and your busted.

*Once you have been convicted it never goes away. It is just sealed from public viewing which is what the airline is entitled to. However all the peole looking at those computer screens at the courthouse and BMV can see everything just by putting you SS# into the computer.

I highly suggest honesty at an airline interview. Most of us are a little crazy and have gotten into trouble. One or two misdomeanors is not going to disqualify you from the job. The funny thing about pilot groups is they are all unique. Each airline has there own perfect pilot which they try to find. While a underage drinking ticket might get you killed at one airline it might be a "good" thing at another. Believe it or not some airlines don't want a bunch of loser dweebs walking around the terminal bitchen everytime the Captain drinks a beer and hits on a chick. What will disqualify you from an airline job would be a felony or a pattern of abuse. I'm sorry to say it but felonies are a major red flag and no matter how likable a guy maybe it is almost impossible to get the company to sign off on a convicted felon.

Be Honest My Friend.

I myself have a felony arrest record and it did not prevent me from getting a job with a 121 Airline. My crime was just short of ten years old so I knew it was going to come up sooner or later. During my interview they asked me if there was anything that I wanted to talk about that I did not mention in my application. So I came clean and told them about my crime. In a humble manner I explained to them what I learned from the experience. It also helped that I stayed out of trouble since then. Out of the ten guys who I interviewed with last fall I was the only one who was hired . Most of those guys had tons of more experience than I had. The interviewers appreciated that I was honest with them. To top it all off, the Chief Pilot stood up and offered me the job on the spot. Talk about being blessed! My friend just be honest and put your faith in God. I know how you feel , I used to worry all the time that my crime ( Grand Theft) was going to prevent me from from getting an airline job. Well it did not! Pray to the Big Man. If he can help an old thief like me , I Know he can help you. I bet you know who 's your Daddy now!

If what you say is true, and if what the TSA says is also true, you will soon be joining the unemployed. I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you're not BSing you WILL NOT PASS the TSA-mandated background check and you will be let go ... period. This info can befound all over the net with the applicable guidelines. If there are loopholes, please fill the rest of us in.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Minh

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back