• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Felony Conviction???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is the dark side of my life. I made a great mistake of being intimate with a girl that was four years younger than me. Ever since then i had to go to therapy, see a psychiatrist, register as a sex-offender, and admit to all my employers of my past. I have been honest to everyone and god only knows which jobs i have lost becuase of the conviction. Since 911, the conviction is a heavier weight to carry since more employers are doing background searches outside of aviation. Ever since my conviction, the victim and i got married when she turned 18 and we have been together for the happiest 10 years of my life.

Some employers ask in the last 10 years if you ever been convicted and some employers ask in your life if you ever been convicted of a felony? My question is do employers only search the last 10 years or your whole life time for conviction. Some employers have found nothing when i told them of my conviction. Lawyers have told me that it over 10 years of search does not exist, is that true???

Well if you married the so-called victim then you need to explain that and maybe they will cut you some slack.

I believe the check all your adult life (18yrs and up) for convictions but the last 10 years for employment, driver's license etc..

Not sure though.

A friend had trouble with the DOJ because he was born in Tripoli, Lybia. His Dad was based there in the US Military.

Last edited:
No worries

The fact that you married the little girl and stayed married is more of an indicator of your character than the legal snafu itself. I'm thinking this will not be much of a hinderance to employment so long as you are honest about it and "show what you learned from the experience". I would NOT try to justify the act by the fact that you got married, however. Don't minimize the fact that you did something wrong. Acknowledge the wrongness of not following rules and how your experience with justice taught you to respect rules and laws, etc. Then tell them you've been happily married for ten years to her and I would imagine an interviewer will move on to the next subject without hesitation.

If I'm underdstanding the new TSA guidelines correctly (and I may not be) you would most likely not pass muster for aircraft over 12,500 lbs, would you? I'd love to hear the take on this from the pros among us ... anyone with a checkered past faced that hurdle yet?

Minh
(Who also has a skeleton or three ... but it was a misdemeanor.)

I got a chance to attend a Safety Standown where a noted aviation attorney spoke. According to him the FAR 61.153 clause to "be of good moral character" to have an ATP, has been ruled such that the FAA must prove a pattern of conduct or habit.

According to this guy, examples of crimes an ATP can get away with once, would be indecent exposure, adultry, tax fraud and murder. He went on to say that crimes an ATP can't even get away with once would be drug smuggling or interstate statutory rape. (He did say the "She was very tall and liked airplanes" defense failed.)

Contact an aviation attorney to make sure you will be able to hold an ATP. If so, I don't think it will pose a problem for you in an interview, provided you answer honestly and accept responsibility for your actions. (It sounds like you did) The ten years of "crime-free" living helps here also. None of us are perfect, it's how we handle self-created adversity and what we learned in the process that gives the interviewer a good picture of our caracter.

Best of luck! I think you'll be fine. PM me if you would like the name of the guy who did the presentation. (He's a pilot too, so I suppose he can be forgiven for practicing law.)

Last edited:
Is there anyway you can go back to the courts who convicted you and ask to have your record cleared of it. I don't remember the technical term for it. You can have it where you don't have to tell anybody about it. I mean you are and have been married to the person for 10 years that says a bunch there.

Good Luck.

I believe the term is expunge. From the forms I had to fill out for TSA, they ask about a list of felony convictions for the last ten years. So if it was more than ten years ago, I would follow the TSA's lead in that.

But that is just me.

Hey Man:

I was a cop for six years in a big city. I can tell you that there is VERY little that a lot of money and a good attorney can't expunge/seal/or otherwise make go away. Often the attorney will file a motion with the court that saw your case, it's totally up to the judge. If the judge is ameniable, then you have to MAKE SURE the charge is removed from the national AND local records. Often something that doesn't show up on a "national" check shows up on local checks.

There are a variety of remedies attornies and lawyers have for making things vanish. I know of one guy who had a Theft charge, his lawyer got it expunged and a letter to him statiing that if asked about any previous Theft offenses he should state "no."

Just some thoughts, good luck.

Unfortunately I believe Rape of any kind is an offense that will prevent you from passing the FBI background check. You will not be able to get a TSA security clearance for Part 121 and 135 operators with aircraft over 12,500 max TO weight. The FBI fingerprint check will show any arrest in the past 10 years. Most states do not release misdomeanor offenses to the FBI however every state will turn over felony arrests to the FBI. I know someone who is going to buy a govenors pardon for about 10,000 dollars.

Let me get this right. If my conviction occured more than 10 years ago, then the TSA wont find out. I would get it expunged but the govt wont let me cuz this is a rape offense and it doesnt fit. It sucks for me but my 10 year anniversary of my conviction is this month and i am hoping that they dont find out/

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back