Feedback needed for job! Type in MU-300/BE-400

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asolo

I have a question for all of you: I have 2200TT, no jet experience, and almost 1000ME and have been offered the oppourtunity to get typed in the MU-300 if I sign a 2-year contract. Owner pays all of type and recurrent costs. Job pays a little more than $45K/year. I will fly only a max of 15-20 hrs/mo and he wants to put me in the left seat ASAP as soon as insurance allows. I can work part-time flying Mu-300's and Be-90s and Be-58's when I'm not flying for this guy. WHen I fly the Mu-300 part time, he wants me to kick back everything except $100 per trip.
What do you guys think of this situation: 2 year contract vs. 1 year, kicking back money for doing side-flying, and not flying often. I think it is a GREAT oppourtunity, but I don't like how infrequently I fly. Sounds kinda dangerous. Please give me some feedback, I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!

Last edited:
"WHen I fly the Mu-300 part time, he wants me to kick back everything except $100 per trip"

That would be the deal killer. It really says a lot about who you are about to go work for.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.......
I get it, the guy wants a return on his investment for getting you the MU300 type, fair enough; but, seems like there would be a better way to cut that deal than a kick-back per trip.

Let me know where it is. If you don't want it I will take it. Don't let this one get away. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the 15-20 hrs a month including the part time flying? If not you may get enough extra flying to satify you. Also, how is the part time flying set up? Are they his aircraft? Is it leasing agreements or 135? Be careful with lease agreements. One of the only ways I know that you can get away with this scenario is to have customers pay him for use of aircraft and then pay you completely separately for pilot services. If it's a package deal, you run into "holding out" and that's considered charter.

That being said, I do think that it could be a good opportunity, but the job IS worth the salary and the training by itself. I made a little more than that flying a Navajo for a guy and only flew 175 hrs last year. The extra is just that, "extra." Also, are there any benefits being discussed?

So I would say that in light of your being willing to sign a two year contract, he should at least let you have $250 a day plus expenses. Use signing of the contract and the fact that your flying more of these side trips will increase your TT and time in type which will lower his insurance sooner.
That's the tack I would take if it were me.

Last edited:
asolo said:
WHen I fly the Mu-300 part time, he wants me to kick back everything except $100 per trip.
Bullsh!t! If you do contract work on YOUR TIME OFF, it's NONE OF HIS BUSINESS what you make! I think you have a pretty good indication here of what it would be like to work for this guy....move on, find something better(there isn't much that doesn't fit into this category). Too many people will sell their left nut just to fly a jet....and somebody will agree to his dumba$$ requirements...but I say tell him to screw himself.

The kick-back is not a good deal at all. Here's an angle you probably have not considered.

What's the going day rate for a typed copilot on that jet. 450-500? Let's go with $400.

You fly a two day trip. $800. Give type buying guy $600 and you keep $200. WRONG!

Type buying guy will want his $600. You will start with $200. Now let's take 15.3% of 800. That's what you owe in self employment tax. The people you fly part time for ain't gonna 1099 your boss. Tax man just took $122.40. Ouch.

Now take a nominal rate after deductions on your 1040, with a 45K salary you'll probably pay about 12%. OK, .12 times 800. Dad-doggit, there goes another $96. You just flew for two days and your DOWN $18.40.

Is this still a good deal?

Wait, Asolo are you saying he wants a kick back when you fly for other people? NO WAY! If that's the case, FracCapt has it right. You already have a good idea what it would be like to work for this guy. I wouldn't do it.
Oh, I brain-farted on the pay also. I didn't pay close attention to what you'd be flying. It should be more $$ for the side jobs and that's only if it's in his aircraft. If it's flying for other parties altogether it really is none of his business. So which is it? Flying on the side in his aircraft or contracting separately with other operators?

Last edited:
first of all

Two years is too long. That should tell you who you would be working for. Two years is a red flag. Another huge red flag is the contract thing. If your off, then you can do whatever you want regardless who trains you.

Also 45K is a joke for a captain qualified pilot in the MU-300. You would be whoring yourself out. Now, if he wants to train you for a FO spot, then 45k is ok, but not for a co-captain. So, eventually you will become PIC and the pay should go up at least 20-30%. That should be discussed now rather than later when he owns you in his 2 year contract.

Thanks for all who replied. I decided not to take the job even though it would have been an incredible job for someone at my TT. For some reason, I didn't feel right about it even though I thought I would be overjoyed when I got offered to go to school. To put it in a nutshell: Questionable plane (couldn't pass 135 inspections), questionable PIC (has a questionable reputation), 2 year contract, side-flying was penalized, and last but definately not least-not flying very much as all.
Again, thanks for all the feedback. I enjoy this board b/c of friendly people w/ varied experience! Blue Skies!

Asolo

Latest resources

Back