• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx Walk Through

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wrapping up MD11 training and heard from one of the instructors that they will be going from 16 crews/month to 24. That's going to create a vacuum at the bottom. And that's just the MadDog. Granted they'll slow down hiring for the next two months due to peak coming. But after that, they might go to 50 newhires per month for a while. Granted, that depends on a lot of factors. But if your availability date is close and you've done the g&g, then odds are good that you'll get a call. The glass is half full!

I've had an app in for a little while now and my sponsor is in the top 30 on the senority list. However, I only have one other internal pilot LOR. Will having only 2 Recs be a show-stopper for me or will having a sponsor, who has been at FedEx since the beginning, compensate for my not having 3 Recs.

rk772 said:
I've had an app in for a little while now and my sponsor is in the top 30 on the senority list.

I wouldn't focus so much on the senority of your sponsor. All that senority means is that you have been at FedEx a long time...it says nothing for your sponsor's skills or his reputation with his ACP. What matters most is that he is not a "problem" child and that he has plenty of experience flying with you. Its even better if your sponsor is a check airman, flex instructor, or VP of flight operations.

They want a sponsor that has an in-depth flying history with you. If you went out and rented a Cessna and flew together one time just to fill a box then he is not going to be a good reference. If you haven't flown with him at all.....ouch.

As far as how many.....I have always heard three....but of course that depends. From what I have heard, mostly on this board, it seems we have a backlog, so they are being very picky.....so I would say at least three.

Keep working your contacts and good luck.

There are always exceptions to every rule (or guideline) so I wouldn't sweat it too much. 3 seems to be the minimum number, but it only takes one person to go into the CP's office and make your case. The more folks who go in on your behalf the better off your chances are, but I wouldn't think that it is impossible with 2, particularly depending on who the one is.

And while I agree that the seniority of the sponsor may not matter, I sure wouldn't be so bold to suggest that a well placed (even non-flying) sponsor wouldn't have a little extra pull. That would be true anywhere.

Good luck.

FJ

[T]hey will be going from 16 crews/month to 24.

And they are starting a new-hire RFO program. Like United's "cruise f/o's". New hires will be trained in the MD11 but will not keep landing currency. You heard it here first....

Just a captain I flew with. But he sounded pretty convincing....

I have heard that "cruise F/O's " are a posibility for the A-380 because it will be hard enough to keep the capt's current. The other idea is to have F/O's start their trip with a trip to the sim for 3 takeoffs and landings and then start their trip.

I heard the "cruise F/O's" are going to be foreign nationals. . . .
No, not really, I just made that up. . .

I heard the cruise RFO rumor, too. I guess Quantas does it. You will only be able to be at the controls above 10,000 ft, so you won't need takeoff and landing currency. Pay would be less than a regular f/o.

Latest resources

Back