FedEx/UPS v. Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Phaedrus

Interested in information from anyone who has done both: FedEx/UPS to airlines or airlines to FedEx/UPS. Specifically what you liked/disliked in comparison and contrast concerning QOL/schedule flexibility/and general happiness.
I've heard many different things already, but I thought this would be a good place to get a bunch of different takes on this.
On a different note, is Indianapolis one of the larger ops for FedEx? Tons of purple tails up there!

Phaedrus,
You can do a search on here and find a ton of information on the pros and cons of hauling people or boxes. As for IND, yes it is one of our bigger hubs. The second biggest I believe. Good luck!

NightFlyer

Research the companies you want to work for...i researched fdx bigtime and looked at the freight business as a whole...it looked safe..and recession proof...met some fedex pilot and got some info about the job and that is where i wanted to be...9/11 changed a lot for the passenger carriers and unfortunately the are hurting now...i feel as time goes on the pay, workrules,etc will get back to where they were(hopefully)...obviously we need pilots in the future to handle both..do some research(which you are) and see what fits you best...but getting a job is a whole different story

I was hired at UPS and SWA last summer and chose UPS. I choose to sit reserve and plan on doing it for the rest of my career. I have flown less than 50 hours since Sept 05. Being paid while sitting at home outweighs the "burden" of carrying around a cell phone everywhere.

Quite frankly, I prefer my wife and kids over the old hag FAs and WT that are flying the friendly skies on $49 tickets. FWIW we consider ourselves an airline but don't get hung up on labels too much. The pay is only going to get better. The key to me is that you have to work for a company making money and one that is positioned to benefit from the remarkable growth occuring in China and the rest of Asia.

I flew at SWA for 6 months and left to fly for FDX. I don't think you can go wrong at either place, it comes down to what you want to fly and how the retirements differ. SWA is a great company and they've figured out how to continually make money haulin PAX. The down side is they only offer a 401k so you are funding your own retirement with a company match that is capped. FDX...A Fund + 6%B Fund + 401K. Depending on when you get hired there can be a significantly different retirement between the 2. From my standpoint I didn't want to be locked into the same equipment for a 28+ year career doing the Texas 2 step with drunk pax complaining about the peanuts.

I realize however that some need to feed the ego and prefer to walk down the crowded terminals with their fancy hats. Myself, I preferred the trash haulin and job security offered at FDX.

I would give a hard look at living in domicile or commuting. I think SWA offers better locations if you want to live in domicile but if your a commuter...they are about the same for ease of jump seating.

The two schedules differ significantly in block time but work about the same amount of days per month. SWA you will hard block 80-90 hours per month and FDX is about 40- 50. That's a generalization based on similar equipment but you can fly a lot less at FDX if you live in domicile and bid Reserve. I believe both companies allow similar scheduling manipulation, i.e..drop, slides, and trades but you should check both contracts to be sure. I'm not sure if SWA is still that flexible.

Bottom line, either company would be a good choice but you have to decide what best fits your circumstances, what was a good choice for me...maynot be for you. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Phaedrus said:
Interested in information from anyone who has done both: FedEx/UPS to airlines or airlines to FedEx/UPS. Specifically what you liked/disliked in comparison and contrast concerning QOL/schedule flexibility/and general happiness.
I've heard many different things already, but I thought this would be a good place to get a bunch of different takes on this.
On a different note, is Indianapolis one of the larger ops for FedEx? Tons of purple tails up there!

Grandma...is that you? Did you forget to take your pills again? I already explained this to you. I DO work for an airline. And no, I'm not just building hours till I can get a commercial job! Now go an take your medicine!

Last edited:
727Capt said:
FDX...A Fund + 6%B Fund + 401K. Depending on when you get hired there can be a significantly different retirement between the 2.

Can you explain how the A and B funds work and what they payout on retirement?

727Capt said:
The two schedules differ significantly in block time but work about the same amount of days per month. SWA you will hard block 80-90 hours per month and FDX is about 40- 50.

Are you saying that few FedEx pilots exceed garuntee?

AviatorTim said:
Are you saying that few FedEx pilots exceed garuntee?

I think you are confusing block hours and credit hours. We are guaranteed 17 credit hours per week (68/4-week bid; 85/5-week bid). There are plenty of shorter trips in the Boeing where you only block 2-3 hours but you get paid for 6 (trip minimum). I got paid for 105 hours in January but blocked less than 45. Have a two day layover in Phoenix? You get paid 12 hours. It really works out great when you get a layover in your home city...you get paid while you're sitting at home with your family. All of the bid lines have at least the guaranteed hours. A good rule of thumb is to figure 1000 credit hours per year, easily done without being a total prostitute (i.e. no draft, advanced volunteer, vacation buyback.)

Latest resources

Back