FedEx Training Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Phaedrus

I'm due to begin training in a couple of weeks. I apologize in advance for my astounding ignorance:

1. Should I try to get a crash pad now? (MD11/ANC)
2. Is there anything I can do to be more prepared for training?
3. How long is the actual schoolhouse portion of the training?
4. Where can I get a "purple nugget" t-shirt? :)

Thanks in advance.

FedExFlyer said:
Astounding ignorance is an understatement............
way to help out a bro.......

Last edited:
From what I can tell from the -11 training letter, the newhires going to ANC have 2 weeks of general indoc training, and then some start right into the approx 12 week MD specific training. Those 12 weeks are from start of ground school to activation. Normally after activation you get a week off before you start flying the line. Not all of the new hires started the same week though, so some of them might be getting a week off after indoc before they start their MD specific training. Figure at least 14 weeks for training to activation, a week off and then hit the line running. Depending on when you activate you will get a "custom" line built for the remainder of the bid month or possibly for the next month as well if the bid has already closed.

Crashpad is a personal choice. Lots of folks used the first week to hunt around the area for a place they liked. There is plenty of time after class to do so and you might find a roomate or two in your class. If you have time to look around before hand I'm sure that would be nice, but I wouldn't make a special trip to do so. There are lots of options in Mem. I have no idea about ANC.

Just relax and spend some time with the family before you start. The first two weeks are pretty laid back so you will have time to ramp up for the ground school fire hose. Get as many of your personal affairs and to do lists done before you start ground school so you can focus on training after it gets serious.

Couple of company stores, one in the hub and one in the World HQ.

Welcome aboard.

FJ

Have your sponsor or one of your buds visit the info boards at the AOC and get a bunch of numbers for crashpads that have vacancies. Check them out on a map and go ahead and get in one, or at least have an idea where they are. I got into a crashpad sight-unseen, it worked out well and I never had to pay for a hotel.

Fwiw

Here is what I did:

I got a hotel for the first two or three nights. That gave me time to figure out where I was going to crash. That way I didn't feel pressure to dive into something, or end up in something that was bad. The last thing you want in training is to deal with a crappy pad or bad roomies. There were a few pads started in my newhire class, this sounds like it is common.

As far as cheap hotels in Anchorage. I am not so sure this is true in the summer. Tourists have a habit of driving prices up during the summer. Check it out real close.

If I am not mistaken, you are MEM based until you activate (after training). SO, no hotel in MEM, but if they send you offsite (like ANC) for training, you should be taken care of.

Good luck and congrats.

There is a collection of relatively inexpensive places that a lot of commuting crews use in ANC. There is a list in the MEC calendar. I never had trouble finding a room in any season.

Latest resources

Back