FedEx Shipping Discount : Motorcycle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

I need to ship a motorcycle from Michigan to Tennessee so that I can fix it up and sell it. I saw that FedEx can ship a motorcycle, but I was wondering if I could use my FedEx discount to help off set the price. The bike is only worth about 2000 dollars on a good day, but it is in my storage bin with everything else since I got laid off. Any advice?

I need to ship a motorcycle from Michigan to Tennessee so that I can fix it up and sell it. I saw that FedEx can ship a motorcycle, but I was wondering if I could use my FedEx discount to help off set the price. The bike is only worth about 2000 dollars on a good day, but it is in my storage bin with everything else since I got laid off. Any advice?

With a good tarrif discount structure in the 70-79% range this shouldn't be more than a $150 bill give or take depending obviously on weight.

I ship Fedex Freight and National every day so I would suggest if you can do a terminal/dock pickup if you have a residential address because there's about a 50% chance they will nail you with an $80 residential delivery fee on the back end of the shipment at the delivering terminal. I just shipped an LTL pallet from GA to OH 2 weeks ago and was nailed with this fee.

Also, it will add an extra day but see if there is price difference to ship
FX National vs. FX Freight. I'm set up to save some real money shipping FX National once I ship outside of my FX Freight 'regional zone'. National is designed for longer haul discounts.

Any questions PM me.

How do I pack it? Unfortunately I don't think there is a way for me to get it to the dock that would be cheaper than 80 bucks. Thanks for the advise.

How do I pack it? Unfortunately I don't think there is a way for me to get it to the dock that would be cheaper than 80 bucks. Thanks for the advise.

Is it a rolling chassis? If so they probably will let it 'roll' on because I asked about shipping a forklift from JAX to GA and they told me no problem (couldn't really palletize that LOL). Worst case they'll want it strapped to a pallet and free pallets aren't to hard to find in an industrial complex.

If you give me weight and to and from zips I can give you an *idea* on the cost.

Aprox 310 Lbs 48111 to 37931

I was thinking I might be able to go to a motorcycle shop and get a pallet that a new bike arrived in. I figure they probably just throw them out anyhow.

By rolling do you mean does it roll, the answer is yes. It doesn't need much work, but I don't have anywhere to do it in Michigan anymore. My stuff is there, but my life isn't.

Aprox 310 Lbs 48111 to 37931

I was thinking I might be able to go to a motorcycle shop and get a pallet that a new bike arrived in. I figure they probably just throw them out anyhow.

By rolling do you mean does it roll, the answer is yes. It doesn't need much work, but I don't have anywhere to do it in Michigan anymore. My stuff is there, but my life isn't.

Here's what I have and how I got it:

Called National for a quote and in order to use my account and its discount code to get a quote it must either ship to me or ship from me but that's probably ok because I'm in Blairsville, GA (extreme N GA mtns) so this should be a good ball park for you.

Using FedEx National and ass-suming the dimensions are 5' long, 2' wide (handlebars removed) and 3' high (would ship as a 'dimensional shipment') they would class it as Class 100.0 and it would cost 138.31 to go from zip code 48111 to 30512. My Tariff discount is 79% which is rich but not Wal-Mart either.

It stands to reason Knoxville would be a noticeable amount less considering less miles.

Of course this isn't off the street pricing so hopefully your means of a Fedex discount can get you similar rates.....

Hope this helps!

I don't know what kind of discount you have with your carrier but the interline discount I get (ID75) only applies to 2-day or better "Express" shipments not freight or ground. YMMV.

I thought of another angle to get a discounted freight shipment.....surely you know somebody at the local airport(s) in MX who ships and receives parts/equipment semi-regularly through a freight carrier. Explain your needs and ask for a favor. Pay them up front for your shipment and give 'em a big thank you.

If not an option the typical front office of a freight carrier is full of ugly women who want to feel sexy. Walk in like you own the place, give her a big flirtatious smile, explain what you have to ship and politely ask for her best quote. The LTL freight industry is sucking wind just like aviation and they need revenue. Since your bike is basically traveling the I-75 shipping 'lane' carriers which run this route are a dime a dozen.

R&L Carriers, Estes, USF Holland are just a few that specialize in this lane. All R&L trailers have free liftgates too. USF Holland was founded in MI so maybe they have great rates out of that state.....just my .02.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back