FedEx rumorville

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More Fuel

A little more to keep the fire burning. Disclaimer: "I'm just a line guy, livin' the life with zero inside info"

I flew with a Capt today, who happens to have a seniority number < 140 and has been in standards for 10+ years, said he talked w/his boss in standards the other day who said the 737 thing was a "done deal". He also seemed to think it was linked w/the MD-10 program, they had an updated Fleet Plan which used to have the conversion schedule with numbers, they were now "TBD". I tried to find this, but the website still shows the plan updated 12/04/03 with conversions continuing.

The Capt I jumpseated in with yesterday had recently taken the Chief pilot home on a jumpseat. They had just had a meeting on the subject and Jack was surprised the current airplanes being discussed (I think the number was 58 by early next year) were "old, round dials and everything". When I talked to Jack on the jumpseat just before xmas (see earlier post) he said unequivocally "we're getting 737s". I have always heard there would be a mix of old and new (-300/400s and -800s), but it sounds like he was surprised at the first "bunch". I glean two possible things: 1) We'll be getting a lot of old airplanes early, maybe newer ones to follow, or 2) We're getting a lot of old airplanes. This doesn't surprise me because FedEx doesn't buy many new airplanes, but if we do, there may be something to the link with the MD-10 program.

Also, my crashpad roomate (727) got back from a trip a few days ago and was shooting the $h_t with some maintenance guys during a turn out west. They said that 2 days prior they had a meeting with the regional maintenance manager who said we'd have 60 737s within 10 months.

What does all this mean? At this point absolutely nothing, but one thing is for sure, this rumor has generated a lot of talk on several different levels.

The "Master Wide-Body Planning Schedule" has changed recently. The one I read previously in December had 14 MD10s for 05 and 14 in 06 with the last DC10 going away the beginning of 08. The new schedule shows 8 MD10s in 04(three delivered this month) and and 10 in 05 with 11 in 06 with tail number assigned to all but three of these 11 for 06. The three are marked TBD. The MD10 conversion schedule now goes out to the last delivery of 10/30/10. You can look at all this on the FedEx INTRANET(FedEx) computer only at http://chariot.aod.fedex.com:8080/convaq
Not sure if this address is the Air Fleet Conversion Home Page or the schedule itself. If it is the home page just click on the pull down menu in the center of the page.

Funny. I've heard the 60 in less than a year also, but failed to broadcast it because that number is outside the realm of possibly legitimate rumor. I think I could safely say that there is NO way we could get that many that quick. At least not operating on the line. We might own them, but they will either:

1) Not be cargo converted (door, etc.), or
2) We will not have enough crews trained that fast to actually operate them (pilots, mechs, box destroyers that know how to load them)

Not trying to be negative, because I do think a new airplane in the fleet will be huge for hiring and the poolies and such. Just "coffee talking" the 60 in a year thing.

On a different subject, has any even seen a cargo 737 anywhere lately? I've seen pictures, but I've never locked one up with Mk1 Mod0 eyeball.

Don't despair poolies, it's coming.

The Navy C-40 is a 737-700 cargo (well, one of our 3 configurations is). We can put in 8 pallets with a total weight up to about 34k. Some of the books say 45k but that would require a higher MZFW, which was probably money we didn't want to spend or something. We don't normally fly all cargo and if we did the pallets have to be sort of short due to the overhead bins, but presumably a permanent all cargo rig like FedEx would fly would have them removed.

VaB,

I agree, I haven't heard 60 "on the line" by next year either. I think that's next to impossible, didn't mean to convey that.

I'm dying for a window seat, anybody want to trade a S/O DC-10 for for a F/O 737-(take your pick) seat. Wedge..... I meet your crash-pad room-mate today..

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back