• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx rumorville

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boeing used the same tooling in building the 727 and 737 cockpits. The noise problem is the same in both planes. The 300 and 400 737s have great preformance, they fly very similar to a Valsan 727. The problem is the wing and mach buffet. It was not designed as a long haul plane. The wing comes from the -200. This is not the case in the newer models. they have a completely different wing.
IMHO, All the 737 models are great airplanes.

Last edited:
Here's some more info to keep the rumor mill turning. I just flew with a check airman who was briefed yesterday from the chief pilot that they are going to train all of the dudes in the pool this spring and probably even hire more. So hang in there poolies, sounds like it's really going to happen this time.

T38dude

Rumor or Not, Here I come

I talked with a friend of mine who works in Training, he is normally pretty tight lipped about info he gives.. However, this time he pretty much volunteered info.. He said that training would begin for poolies April or at the latest May.. He also said that they would be hiring more behind the poolies... He did not give exact numbers, but, he did say quite a few.. That is pretty consistent with what everyone else has said.. At least the rumors are jiving this year..

I also asked about the 737 rumor.. He did not elaborate much, but he did say that FedEx is looking to get outta the MD-10 deal and something with Boeing would be the way out..

I hope this is all true, it is hard to get my hopes up though after almost two years..

Yes, I know my Grammar sucks!! So you nerds who have nothing to do but proof read message board posts, save it...

FRED callled

Hayden...
Fred called and said that he's got a spare MD for you on the side of 36R-18L.

From my understanding of the MD-10 conversion program it has nothing to do with Boeing anymore.

If you read page 20 of the FedEx Second Quarter Fiscal 2004 Results, found on the FedEx page under investor relations you will see that MD-10-10 and MD-10-30 aircraft deliveries are large and scheduled through 2008. If the program stops where will these aircraft come from? Keep the DC-10? My guess is a big no. The company fought hard for common type on MD-11 MD-10 so as not to have two training programs. Keeping the DC-10 around also keeps another training program around and other sims, all of which costs dollars.

Something has to replace the Boeing, what it is who knows, but i highly dought the MD conversion program will go away.

Just my .02

More $.02

I was on a trip Wed/Thu and the rumors are flying (pun intended) fast and furious! They are all about the same. Somebody in training said that we will start hiring in Apr, and maybe a bid in Mar. Sweet. Also interesting was the idea that there would be 30 737s on the ramp by Jun 05. I found that one to be particularly interesting. I think the rumors gain momentum because everyone wants to believe them and they sound good. I have no illusions that these will actually come to fruition, but I will be keeping my fingers crossed none the less.

FJ

More pennies...

From a cost perspective (maintenence and fuel), the 737 option seems to make sense. Our USAF BBJ (-700 body with -800 wings/winglets and gear) typically burns about 5K/hr during cruise with the 27K CFM-56 engines. Not sure what the 727 cruises at per hour, but I'm sure it is a lot higher. With only 2 engines to maintain, I'm sure overall costs are much cheaper.

The -800 will give you a useful payload of about 46K (OEW ~90K w/MZFW 136K). How does this compare to the 727?

Anyway exciting news that FedEx may start hiring. I hope the rumors come true.

Lightning

I preface this by saying I am just a worker bee and am not even based in Memphis. So this is just 100% hearsay and speculation.

First, I have also heard of training opening in the spring time and a new bid also at the same time. Hopefully, this will happen so we won't have to recusitate anyone treading in the pool. Don't take off the water wings yet.

Second, the 737 rumor. To me it doesn't make sense. FedeEx would lose too much lift. Heck the -800 carries a similar payload to the 727-100. How much can the 737-300, or even -400, carry? Plus, everyone seems to think that FedEx wants to get out from under the MD-10 conversion program. From what I have been told is that this is a great deal for FedEx. I just don't see it going away, unless FedEx is using it as a bargaining chip with Boeing. I believe it isn't that great of a deal for Boeing and that they have incurred most of the added costs to the program. Who knows what the next airplane is going to be on property, but if lift is the main concern then the B-737 just doesn't make that much sense to me. But again what do I know.

The 727-200 can carry about 50K but rarely does. Most payloads are in the 30-40K range so the -800 would be a good replacement for the -200 IMHO, especially since the 727 burns 9K - 11K pph (even higher in a hurry).

As far as the MD-10 deal, from what I've heard the conversion costs around $25 million per copy and the deal was done when airplanes were alot more expensive than they are today. Apparently nowadays you can get an A310 with cargo conversion for about $10 million. So I could see getting more airbuses, cancelling the MD-10 program, and phasing out the DC-10 as more the A310s arrive.

a little more

I flew with a captain from training last night. I mentioned to him that I have been hearing a lot of rumors of hiring, 737s and a bid. He said it was all true. He stated that a good friend of his in the training department is heading up the 737 program and he said that the 737 WILL BE ON THE PROPERTY IN 05! He also said the bid was coming out real soon. Sooner than the spring.

Goose17 (with rumors galore!)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back