FedEx rumorville

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
7000 by 2012???

Sorry guys, but where did this number come from??? It sounds really nice, but this, to me, sounds like the ULTIMATE rumor... I've heard no talk of this on the line... Has anyone else??
I'd like for it to be true, but wouldn't bet on it....
Take Care,
Murdawg5

Just out on the Company website: D/C 10 S/O excess bid. 30 seats.

Also, fleet plan shows 8 more Airbusses by 2005, losing 2 727's, and DC-10/MD-10/MD-11 fleet is overall net zero change.

How many 727-100's do we have left? I'm assuming that's what the 737 will be replacing, if we get them.

NightFlyer

Clarifications

Sorry for dumb question, I am from West Texas, we are a little slower than the rest...

With the recent "new hire" figures, plus the 727 and DC-10 retirements, resulting in SO's getting a new seat, maybe it is just me, but I am not just overwhelmed with joy by the resulting "huge" number of actual hires off the street.

Yes, there are retirements, medical retirements, etc, but unless I am mistaken, I dont get the impression that FDX is doing "big time hiring", just maybe turning the spigot on again and letting it run for a few years.

Of course, that is better than nothing!

Being ever so the optimist, if US Airways and UAL cease ops (no disrespect to those pilots, just stating possible reality), that will not help the hiring picture, especially for "up and comers" like myself with no Boeing/Airbus time.

An excess bid means that management has determined that (in this case) there are 30 too many DC-10 S/Os on line. They are going to reduce DC-10 S/O manning by 30. Two options- if you are a DC-10 S/O you can bid to relive the excess and transfer to any other seat company wide that your seniority will let you hold. If that is in a new domicile you get a company paid move. If not enough people bid out then people will be involuntarily excessed starting at the bottom of the list.

More fuel for Fire

Here are the latest RUMORS I heard walking around the property. I debated about putting them out there, but I know it helps when you are swimming.

I heard another confirmation of April Classes. I have heard this from several different sources so if anything it is a "consistent rumor" - hopefully that will come to fruition.

They are saying that they will drain the pool and hire a some beyond that (basic number anticipated is about 100).

Heard the application window should also be opening about the same time.

Those are the latest/greatest. Take them for what they are worth. I guess we'll see in April.

Excess Bid - They ask the people in the seat (DC-10 S/O) to all bid. They can chose to try to stay in the DC-10 or they can bid for another seat. They start at the top of the seniority list and go down. If that person has the seniority to hold a different seat (and he desires to switch) he is awarded that seat. (for instance if he has the seniority to hold a seat in the airbus and he wants it - he gets it). This continues until they find 30 guys. IF they get to the bottom of the list and they don't have 30 people who have been awarded new seats, then they start at the bottom and go up (reverse seniority order) until they get their number. Just as before, the people on the bottom of the list can only get the seat their seniority can hold.

Hope it all helps.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back