Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear70 said:
That's exactly right.

I bid down to Memphis SPECIFICALLY to get in position to network better at FedEx. Since then I've run into one guy I'd flown with at Flexjet (one down, one more to go) and am looking for a guy I flew with at Express One, but the biggest problem I'm running into here at PCL is that I hired into the CA seat, so I never flew with our CURRENT Captains who are going over.

It's ALL about the networking at FedEx and I'm working my tail off trying to do it! If you can't find a way to do it, there's not much hope (I've been applying for 5 years and flew the 727 for a couple years and can't get the call without the LOR's).

I guess this post says it all. It's what I've been saying all along. I simply did not have time to waste playing dinky games for 5 years with a company that purports to be an "equal opportunity" employer, yet clearly, is running a closed shop deal with regard to hiring.
The only thing I'm surprised at is that no one has yet found a chink in the armor. Clever lawyers........;)

turbodriver said:
Seems kind of a dumb rule to me. So, say no one from my regional gets on with Fedex. How am I supposed to get hired if no one whe's there right now has flown with me?

thats why the military has an edge..way easier networking!! Soon as I start UPT..its network central time for me haha

320AV8R said:
What's the rationale behind the FEDEX Reps attending Job Fairs ?

If I show up with a resume, am the most qualified guy they've ever seen, but don't have 3 LORs, aren't they wasting their own time ?

320AV8R
Unfortunately that appears to be the case. It appears that the military guys certainly have a leg up in the networking department for an airline that purports to be an equal opportunity employer but has in effect a hiring system that is contrary to the same.

There are probably many highly qualified candidates in the civilian field that would be a great fit at Fedex, except they don't know three people who work at Fedex. That in my opinion is Fedex's loss.

As I mentioned in a previous post to truly debunk the military/civilian pissing match, Fedex should show some intergrity, respect and transpancy to its potential applicant's and disclose its hiring statisitcs in this matter. To not do so certainly shows thay have something to hide.

Equal opportunity employer-the jury is out on that one.

Last edited:
Does it count if I get only one letter of recommendation and photocopy it two more times?

TheDogsBollocks said:
Does it count if I get only one letter of recommendation and photocopy it two more times?

As long as you have flown with both of those photocopies. ;)

Applied june 2000, have updated just about every month since, don't know anyone there.

Also mins on website say noting about 3 letters, however that doesn't mean much anymore I guess.

Pilot Careers
Qualifications

Typical qualifications for consideration as a FedEx pilot.

• Commercial Pilot Certificate with Multi-engine and Instrument rating (without limitations)
  • Current ATP Certificate or written
  • Current FE Turbojet Rating or written (FEX or Basic/turbojet)
  • Must pass FAA mandated drug screen
  • Recency and type of experience is considered
  • Meet requirements for and currently hold First Class Medical certification
  • College Degree from an accredited college or university
  • Eligibility for rapid visa issuance, issued by offices in the United States to fly to any FedEx destination.
  • Ability to obtain clearance from United States Postal Service for handling or access to U.S. mail, which includes FBI fingerprint check, and candidate must have resided in the United States for the last five consecutive years (except for U.S. military assignments)
  • Eligibility for issuance of US Security Clearance
  • 1500 hours total fixed-wing time as pilot-in-command (PIC) or second-in-command in multi-engine turbo-prop A/C or jet A/C or combination thereof, including a minimum of 1000 hours total fixed-wing pilot-in-command in multi-engine turbo prop A/C or jet A/C or combination thereof.
    Note: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls.
    Note: FedEx considers only pilot time in fixed wing aircraft toward minimum qualifications. This does not include simulator, helicopter, flight engineer, bombardier, navigator, RIO, EWO, WSO, NFO, or Special Crew.
  • All certificates and ratings required to be U.S.A. FAA issued

Last edited:
mnalpha said:
i bet chicks only need 0 letters.

Probably, but, as for you, don't waste your time. Saw your other posts and, quite frankly, even if you managed to get three FDX pilots to vouch for you (which is doubtful, considering your attitude) there's no way in he** you'd make it through the panel interview with that big-a** chip on your shoulder.

I identify with the general feeling of frustration when applying to FedEx without the required LOR's; I've been applying since 1999 and have had one or two recs at the time (one retired just as I got my 3rd) but never all three and a sponsor.

Frustrating thing is, my last job went Tango Uniform SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE FEDEX TOOK OVER OUR CONTRACT. The pilots were GREAT, the Association TRIED to get us interviews, but the company said "No, we'll interview and hire who we want." Like I said, frustrating, but I'm not giving up my dream!

Incidentally, the laws in TN are what keep most lawsuits from gaining anywhere; it's an "at will" work state, meaning that the company can hire/fire whoever they want for any reason at any time. The only thing keeping them from doing that to existing employees is the CBA.

Soooo, in order to fight what FedEx is doing as a violation of the EEOC laws you'd have to go to court IN Tennessee and fight not only that EEOC laws are being broken, but that existing "at will" work laws in TN are somehow "trumped" by the EEOC mandates. Local judges don't like having their laws "trumped" by Federal Law or Supreme Court rulings, so good luck on that one! :(

Latest resources

Back