Fedex QOL Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tony C

I didnt mean to imply that I regularly bid VTO when I have vacation, rather that I have in the past and it turned out pretty good.

de Pez

I agree with you about the dangers of PBS and vacation, but your previous post made it sound like you thought the PBS line would have the same amount of workdays as a regular month, just with you vacation days off. I've heard this quite a few times. I was simply comparing PBS to VTO with respect to how your vacation is credited when building your line.

Anyway it is pointless to argue about PBS details when there are none, and its not even in the companys openers.

Personally I am skeptical about PBS, but I am open to discussion.

Reserve and Vacation

JethroF15 said:
Jakal...
I have bid R-24 before with the R days loaded at the begining of the month. It normally leaves 4 R days at the end. Both times I tried it my leveling was so high after the vacation I sat at home (remember it's R-24 and I am a commuter - not in MEM) and was never called! Boom... entire month off with 7 days of vacation. Can't get that on VTO line!:)
I never understood why you would bid a regular line in a vacation month anyway since a reserve vacation month gives you many more calendar days OFF. If you're a commuter, then bid R-24 for your 4 remaining R-days or call in "sick". Your levelling will be high and if they don't use you, then your sick bank isn't charged.

The only strategy I can see is that bidding a regular line allows you to save your vacation bank for the 40% buyback at the end of the year, otherwise in a reserve vacation month they take the minimum R-days from you no matter if you conflict or not (don't ask me how I know this).

However, I think some guys consider themselves too high up the food chain to bid reserve and lower themselves to the level of us bottom feeders. . .

oops...should've addressed that to Spur

Jethro,

My apology on two counts. The first is that I confused you for Spur...he was the one advocating the VTO on Vacation strategy....

On the second count, I am too dependent on the Avatar method of identification...I saw that Spur was a C-130 guy, and naturally assumed that since he was, then he was probably smarter than an F-15 guy. So I addressed my correction to the wrong guy.

My sincere apologies...and well done!

;-)

VTO Vacation

Actually, I almost always bid VTO when I have a vacation. I just did it in July and it worked out great. I have 12 days of vacation towards the end of the month. I want max days off PLUS at least average BLG. To do that I only need to fly 3 days at the start of the month. that's what I requested and I got a D/H on Monday 28June, hub turn on Tuesday and Wednesday. Jumpseat home Thursday AM. Now I'm on vacation from 01July through the end of the month. I'll bid for the first week of August off and now I've got 5+ weeks off at a BLG of 90CH. I've been doing it that way for years.

Gents,

Forgive me, but I'm new. What exactly do you do on the panel. Also, I see FDX jets in DSM. Can I live there and catch a ride to MEM if necessary? Getting a head of myself, but just curious. Any websites you know of where I can read this would also help. What is the outlook on new hires in 06-07 (for those with a crystal ball). Thanks

Easywithit.

panel

On the panel, you are the systems guy. You take care of aircraft preflights (exterior and interior). You run electrics, pressurization, hydraulics, heating/cooling, fuel, etc. You also get to serve coffee, get water, get crew meals etc. You get to do a lot of less than glorious duty, but it is our starting position in the company. Hopefully you will move up quickly.

As for hopping a ride. Yes, you can hop on any of the FedEx planes and ride to work - many do it.

Good luck.

Goose17 (on the panel until the end of Sept)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back