Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx postal contract ends in 2008--Will they get it again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is everyone missing the point of the USPS agreement that I commented on back on page two?? There really isn't THAT much money in the postal contract, thats why we aren't charging to do it. The point was to get our highest profit yeild packages more accessable to our customers hence getting to put FDX Drop Boxes in front of EVERY post office. It doesn't matter if UPS gets some of the contract, it is still FDX, and ONLY FDX, drop boxes at the post office.

And yes, I was one of the lucky 500 hired needed to fly the mail. But I have over 900 behind me now so no worries:p

PurpleTail said:
Is everyone missing the point of the USPS agreement that I commented on back on page two?? There really isn't THAT much money in the postal contract, thats why we aren't charging to do it. The point was to get our highest profit yeild packages more accessable to our customers hence getting to put FDX Drop Boxes in front of EVERY post office. It doesn't matter if UPS gets some of the contract, it is still FDX, and ONLY FDX, drop boxes at the post office.

And yes, I was one of the lucky 500 hired needed to fly the mail. But I have over 900 behind me now so no worries:p

First of all, congrats on being furlough proof and secondly, FedEx's agreement with the USPS on drop boxes is NOT exclusive to FedEx. Reference this USPS website....http://www.usps.com/news/2001/press/pr01_015.htm

Here is the exerpt of the press release stating that ANY qualifying company can put a drop box in front of a post office.....
"This non-exclusive business agreement will eventually be open to any company that offers overnight package service with a national reach."

410dude said:
If you would have paid attention, you would have noticed that I said the DOMESTIC system was roughly the same size. FedEx does have a substantially larger international system. Sounds like you are worried that FedEx may lose the contract when it comes up for renewal. Where you one of thoses hired mainly because of it?

NOT WORRIED. Thanks. Is FedEx invincible? NO. It think everyone realizes that. We aren't ignorant. But I think the Postal Contract is not as big as you think. And the odds of FedEx losing the ENTIRE postal contract are slim. Fred Smith, like him or not, is a very shrewd businessman who understands politics. Why do you think we bought FedEx Field in Washington DC? But if we do lose it 3 YEARS FROM NOW, I don't think it will effect anyone on property (at least as furloughs go). It may mean we don't hire as many pilots IN 3 YEARS.

Since you all but handed the postal contract to UPS or someone else, do you know something? You seem very interested in it? Why?

Last edited:
Mr Zog said:
Since you all but handed the postal contract to UPS or someone else, do you know something? You seem very interested in it? Why?
I think the official psychological term is "projection". He's not happy with his own work situation, so he's "projecting" ill wishes on others to try to bring them down to his own miserable level.
I love flightinfo!!!

Mr Zog said:

410dude is just the latest incarnation of the flamebaiting troll Rhoid. He doesn't have any inside info, he's just trying to stir the pot. He does it under a screen name for a little while until he gets banned and then moves on to a new name and starts stirring things up again. Best bet is to just ignore him.

My 2 cents.

If Fred is making money, then I imigine FedEx will do all that they can to keep the contract.

Besides I like the day flying.

Hmmm.. interesting thread.

I know FedEx is adding 19 MD airframes in this calendar year. The old Delta MD11s were the only ones publically announced. There are 7 others from other airlines. Then there are @ half a dozen DC-10 airframes previously bought (AA and United) and stored in the desert which are now being converted to MD-10s.

The Airbus dudes are getting an additional 6 airframes this year.

Something is driving the growth.

adqrip said:
My 2 cents.

If Fred is making money, then I imigine FedEx will do all that they can to keep the contract.

Besides I like the day flying.
USPS flying has expanded opportunities and ensured jobs down at the feeders as well.

Although I think originally, USPS stuff wasn't allowed to go on feeder flights, we now have three caravans based in Ohio specfically for mail contract flying.

I don't think FedEx is going to have any problems keeping the USPS contract.

Having drop boxes in front of the post office is a great idea. I walk right past them into the office and send it Express Mail. Guess what, it's just flat cheaper to send stuff Express Mail - Thank you Fedex for the glaring disparity in prices! If it does not have to be guaranteed to get there in one single day but still needs expeditious handling I will send it Express Mail. Try getting a settlement/refund from Fedex/UPS when they drop the ball.

Just watch the way you all crow about the Postal contract. Contracts are won and lost on a daily basis. That means furloughs! Just talk to anyone that has worked for the myriad of companies that had/have postal contracts. The Fedex postal contract is just such a small part of the postal system it is nearly inconsequential.

When you purple and brown guys finally get your pilot contracts re-negotiated and settled upon, your companies are going to start to lose money on the postal contracts and they will then drop them of their own volition.

The vaunted Fedex & UPS systems combined couldn't handle not even half of the volume the postal system does.

As derided as the postal system has been at times if anyone would put any thought into the logistics involved in moving the mail they would understand just how amazing a system it is. It is absolutely mind-boggling that you hand scrawl a barely ledgible address and zip code on an envelope, drop it in a box for 37 cents, it becomes one small piece of millions of tons of other envelopes, gets sorted out, and in the matter of a few days it will with great reliability (for the most part) arrive at the most remote locations in the country. No one puts any thought into that when you drop all your bills in the mail. How many times has anyone really truly had any problem with the mail? With what frequency? With the sheer volume and overwhelming logistics involved you now can understand why Post Office employees "go postal"!

In contrast with Fedex & UPS I have problems with them at least 5 to 10% of the time - Damaged/lost freight, late deliveries, etc. When you take into consideration how often these services are utilized in comparison to how much I use the good ol' U.S. Mail, I'll take the mail any day! Fedex & UPS still have a lot to learn. Statisically Fedex & UPS service sux! I would be very afraid if UPS and Fedex got anything more than just a few crumbs of the mail system.

Oh, and one more thing - One Christmas morning I watched a U.S. Postal truck pull up to the neighbor's house with a Express Mail delivery. You couldn't pay Fedex & UPS enough to do that!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back