FedEx Poolie Calls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FurloughedGal,
Can you please elaborate on #3? I'm a bit confused...do you mean 20 newhires planned for each month this summer?
Thanks!

fdxdisco said:
Class size has to due with how many we can put through the MD class at any one time. We've historically put 4 F/Os per week through the program. We've recently up'ed that to 6 and now it looks like we'll going to 10.

With 10 guys on 22 May, then 10 more two weeks later, that's only 5 per week (assuming the next class will be 19 Jun). Just doesn't seem like the "significant newhire training" we've all been expecting.

LaidOffAgain said:
A buddy interviewed the first week of Feb and just got the call today to do an updated drug test. So you should hear soon.

I guess this means we're going to be friends...

It's true! EARLY Feb. interview and was called today to do the drug test and Medical update as soon as the paperwork gets here. I would not consider myself one to be "hand picked"...although my SBI did go really well...

Metro

This statement was reflective of only new-hires to the right seat out of ANC.

As for total new hires remainder of this year -- it is a guess -- but probably more to begin June (to be released to the line so that the training for the awarded 727, Airbus, and MD-11 positions can begin).

Someone guestimated 70 to ANC and that number seems to be the one floating around on the bus.......Find the guy that figured that one out and have him look at the training letter for the 727 + Bus.

Good Luck everyone!

MsFan said:
With 10 guys on 22 May, then 10 more two weeks later, that's only 5 per week (assuming the next class will be 19 Jun). Just doesn't seem like the "significant newhire training" we've all been expecting.
I think the hiring right now is maxing out the capacity of the MD-11 schoolhouse. Once that gets rolling, they will start training the current 727 S/O's, which will create room for the new hire wave of engineers. My guess, smallish classes unitl August, then the gates will open wider with newhires coming in at the normal 30-50/month.

I too have heard the company was looking to fill all of the ANC MD-11 slots with prior heavy jet, long haul international, glass experience poolies.....Hard to imagine the company really needs to "hand pick" guys from the pool. These poolies are trainable regardless if they've flown "over the pond". It's a lot easier than some people think....good luck.

Just curious, but does anyone know if there is room in the summer schedule for additional Boeing FO classes? Or room in the existing ones to velcro on some new hires?

Thanks in advance...

TSD

I too have heard the company was looking to fill all of the ANC MD-11 slots with prior heavy jet, long haul international, glass experience poolies.....Hard to imagine the company really needs to "hand pick" guys from the pool.

Yep!! I remember coming back to flying in the US after exclusively flying overseas for 4 years and being shocked what a pain it is to fly on the east coast.

Probably the hardest thing for me was trying to catch 5-8 hours of sleep on a Pacific flight....I usually ended up paying for it when we hit the bars and strip joints in Thailand or Australia............um, well you know we had to get rid of all those $1 bills!!

Who is in the pool?

From what I can speculate from reading FedEx posts over the last year or so, looking at the demographics from those getting called to interview, the majority of those interviewed were regional and military...not many heavy/intl/glass guys. I interviewed in Jan, and my group was regional/corp/mil mix. Talking to the other group of guys that morning, the mix was the same. I think, as of late Feb, more of the interviewees were current/furloughed Major airline guys, as there was chat that the suits walking around the building had/were current major airline guys becasue there were a few posts by current FedEx guys that were surprised to see that they were interviewing current major airline guys again (run-on. I know). My buddy (current major FO) was interviewed in Mar and is also in pool.

If they have to fill over 60 slots with pilots with heavy/glass/intl experience for the MD-11, I think they're going to run out of those types of pilots with that specific experience. No? They gotta start dipping into those left floating around, first in, waterlogged pilots sooner rather than later, no? Unless, beginning mid Feb going into Mar, they interviewed mostly heavy/glass/intl guys...

Also, if they want to test the waters of the new trng program/how NH's would do in a widebody...I wouldn't fill it with the most experienced, I would have the class 50/50 with/without said experience, to get a true feel as to how it went. The experienced could oversee/guide the inexperienced. The feedback from the inexperienced is more important/valuable to refining the program than those who already been through that type of training. That's what I think.

Latest resources

Back